Evinrude trolling motor quit working...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baseball_guy_99

Reaction score
Last time out on the lake my dads troing motor quit working. Not exactly sure on the year/model. It's a 24v 74lb thrust. It's one of the last years that Evinrude made a trolling motor before minn Kota bought them out.

Ok now onto the problem. Last time out on the lake we were just trolling along when the motor lost quit working. The light on the head stays on, something in the head makes a buzzing noise, and the wires get hot. You can turn the prop shaft by hand as well.

We checked the fuses and batteries. Both are good.

What do you guys think it could be?

Update...we tore into the motor today. The red wire was fried on the end. It got hot and disconnected itself from the connector. The soldering iron broke so we could not put it back together to see if that was a fix or not.

And to top it all off, a seal kit is no longer available.

BTW it's a 2000 Evinrude Intruder 74fp.

baseball_guy_99 said:
Update...we tore into the motor today. The red wire was fried on the end. It got hot and disconnected itself from the connector. The soldering iron broke so we could not put it back together to see if that was a fix or not.

And to top it all off, a seal kit is no longer available.

BTW it's a 2000 Evinrude Intruder 74fp.

My 2000 Evinrude (MinnKota) 12v 44# TM is starting to act up a bit too; maybe its 12th year is its end of life cycle... :?:

Update...got the wire fixed in the motor. And it still does the same thing!

Another thing I noticed is that the positive wire that is in the head (top) that comes from the foot pedal gets hot when the button is pushed. But the positive wire that goes down into the foot (the motor) does not get hot. Could it be a bad connection between the 2?