Extend power lead on trolling motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Aug

Reaction score
Hey fellas - back with another question. The Minn Kota trolling motor that I have has leads coming off of it that are 8 gauge, and the wiring instructions say that to extend the power lead 6 gauge should be used. The issue I am having is that I am running my 6 gauge to the stern which is where my deep cycle is, and there are no connecters that I know of for connecting the 8 gauge to the 6 gauge?? It seems like too much wire to use a wire nut, and I am not finding much information on this type of setup. I'm open to any and all recommendations, just wanting to get a solid connection.

Along the same lines, I have an Attwood 50 amp circuit breaker to place inline, but not sure how to rig it to the 6 gauge wire - the posts on the circuit breaker are very small??

Thanks in advance for the assist!

Use the 6 gauge wire to run from your battery to your TM plug then connect the existing 8 gauge that is on the TM to the other side of the plug. You can get some heavy duty plug types that will accommodate 6 and 8 gauge. For connecting the smaller CB to the larger 8 gauge wire, there are several ways to do it. I'll give you an example by what I did with mine using the small CB's that have threaded studs for connection of wires..

CBs.jpg

I used a piece of copper plate (aluminum will work) and drilled 3 holes in each strip. The first and biggest hole was large enough to fit over the threaded battery post and the wing nut holds it on. The other 2 holes in that strip were just large enough for the stud on a CB to fit through. The second strip had 2 more holes for CB post and one hole to use a small bolt for attaching my 8 gauge wire that has a ring terminal end of it. So when it's all done I have one CB bolted across the 2 strips. The other CB is only attached by one post and hangs off to the side. This is my spare CB in case one goes bad during a fishing trip I can install the spare and keep fishing. For copper plate, you can use soft copper tubing and just hammer it flat and then cut and drill it as needed. I'm sure there are better methods out there but this worked for me.

I would probably just strip the leads, twist them together and solder them. Of course I have a big soldering iron just for such things. Some big wire nuts would work well too, add some electrical tape to help secure it. Some big butt connectors would also work, hardware store should have the stuff, my local ACE wanted to charge me about $7 for 2 heavy ring connectors last time I went over there, the sticker might shock ya.
Tim

marinewire.com has connectors for 6 gauge to any size ring connector- just ordered some for my cb..........might be tinned marinewire.com ? can't acess email to check while here at work..........but i got the link HERE someplace

These will work
https://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1292751

Always buy heavy ring connectors at a welding supply store...much cheaper and better quality. Soldier them on with a propane torch.

I'd personally run 6ga from the stern to the bow and have twist lock to connect that to the 8ga on the motor pigtail

how about these? tape over them to keep them seperate from each other.

https://www.lowes.com/pd_36042-12704-770143L_4294722552__?productId=3128695&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=