Extend Trailer Frame?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbarba11

Reaction score
I have a very basic loadrite trailer. I'd like to get a ratchet style boat cover next summer (the kind that you leave the straps on the trailer) but my current trailer won't work for this. My trailer has one long cross member down the middle for the majority of the length of the boat. I'm thinking of welding in some extensions like the picture below. This is generic picture of the style of my trailer, the red is what I am thinking of adding. Are there any concerns in doing such modifications?

Attachments

• Loadrite_14F1000_trailer_large.jpg
    Loadrite_14F1000_trailer_large.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 499
It depends on several factors.

How much load will be applied to these cross members? Up pressure, down pressure, side pressure, tensile pressure, or compression loads?

Welded, or bolted? If welded, precision of joint fit-up? Quality of weld and filler metal used? Thickness and type of material used?

If you're not going to put heavy loads on those areas, you may be able to use something lighter and smaller than the trailer frame.

But if you plan on loading it to capacity, then it's best to use the same type and thickness of material that the trailer frame is made from.

If you're just using it for adding ratchet straps for a cover, I see no reason that it would be much of an issue no matter what you built it out of as long as it would support the pressure from the straps.

spotco2 said:
If you're just using it for adding ratchet straps for a cover, I see no reason that it would be much of an issue no matter what you built it out of as long as it would support the pressure from the straps.

I agree, but at the same time, you also don't want to make it so flimsy that welds or joints come apart from the vibrations generated from going down the road. And even when stout materials are used, joints can still come apart. I've had guide posts break off trailers a couple of times, from a combination of corrosion attacking the joint, and inadequate gusseting/bracing.

Things falling off trailers can be a PITA, even if they don't cause damage to other vehicles. And if/when it DOES cause damage to someone else's vehicle, that's a serious liability. So, that's why I go with the mentality of overkill with trailers. But then again, that's because I fabricate and repair them, and I assume responsibility for making sure anything leaving my shop is road-worthy and safe.