Fall overboard? This might help.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Looks like a reasonable idea.

I think the price is crazy for a tube of plastic and a CO2 cartridge, but if I was hoping for a rescue, there is NO cost too high.
https://newatlas.com/marine/seearch-wearable-inflatable-open-water-rescue/?utm_source=New+Atlas+Subscribers&utm_campaign=abf2c36a41-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_12_01_02_35&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-abf2c36a41-91654449

Every time i hear about lost fisherman at sea, I wonder about stuff like this. It just happened again last week. Four fisherman lost at sea and they called off the search after a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted this same LINK on another site.

A scuba diver said that they use something similar. It is a Safety sausage and is inflated by mouth. Here is a LINK to that device.

Never heard of a safety sausage...but..here is one! Great idea!

https://getwetstore.com/products/sa072?variant=34435446538394&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2020-08-27&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=CjwKCAiA8Jf-BRB-EiwAWDtEGmPCVC8zuSmkuQJVstoqcujBv42A8ptFn-yKPnDEQO4Shb80gk-zZBoCe9sQAvD_BwE
Modify message

About 35 years ago, we owned a 27 ft. Catalina sailboat. My wife and I took a Coast Guard course and we thought that we knew something about running a boat.

99% of the time, I was Captain and she was only along for the ride. We took another couple with us a few times.

On one of those adventures in Galveston Bay (525 square miles of water, 3rd largest bay in the US)...I decided that it would be best if someone else knew how to run the boat...at least enough to come and get me if I fell overboard.

I had the wheel in my hand, steering the craft, tacking off the wind. The winds were very mild. Hardly any waves showed a whitecap. I stood up and said, loudly..."I have just fallen overboard." As I said that... I threw a bright orange lifejacket over the side. I stood back and watched what happened.

After a bit, it became evident that I had to ...verbally... help a little.

My buddy Tom, who wasn't all that much of a sailor, (admitted by him), took the wheel. To keep from capsizing the boat, I told them to drop the sails, and go get "me" with the motor. The boat sported a 4 cylinder inboard Atomic 4 which put out 30 hp. Thirty HP was far more than that sailboat really needed, but it came with the used-boat when I bought it.

All of the time that this was going on, I also told them that one of them had to stand up and point at "me" in the water. They were to keep pointing at me, no matter what direction the boat turned or ran.

About twenty minutes later, they finally ran "me" over with the bow of the boat.

The point of the exercise was to alert them as to what to do if I, or anyone, fell overboard. Since I "died" that day, we did that exercise again the next time out. I survived the second.... Falling Overboard... encounter.

That exercise is not a bad idea if you fish or boat with inexperienced friends or spouses.

richg99

If we're talking about going off shore, I think every boat should have an EPRIB or PLB onboard. The ocean is a big, big place to look for a broken down or capsized boat. A lot of the time they never find them. An emergency radio beacon gets the coast guard there every time.

Been diving for 10 years, never leave the boat or shore without a safety sausage. Have been in and around boats much longer and never thought about carrying it with me. They come in various sizes (long and longer) and colors. They are very visible from low freeboard boats (Panga) and if you are on one of the cattle boats with a flying deck popular dive spots look like pin cushions.