fiberglass jon boat conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillespiej03

Reaction score
Ok guys...I just bought a 16ft fiberglass jon boat that I want to convert. I am wanting to use aluminum deck bracing but am not sure how to go about attaching it to the hull. I will have pictures of the boat as soon as possible but was wanting to get a basic idea of how to go about this. Thanks in advance for any help.

I am hoping to screw it in. I haven't measured everything out yet so I am not sure how thick it is. If screwing the deck down is not an option, would some kind of marine adhesive work?

If you are going to use Alu. bracing and decking:
Use either rivets or sex-bolts (sleeve-bolts) through the fiberglass hull. You want a nice smooth surface in contact with the fiberglass hull. If you just use sleeveless bolts, and the threads are in contact with the fiberglass, the flexing will cause the threads to 'chew' the glass and wallow out the bolt hole eventually. You need a type of fastener that will not chew the glass.

5200 as an adhesive is about the best there is, use it as a backing on the Alu. frames and cleats; it will help keep everything nice and tight. I wouldn't trust it alone though.

You can forgo the Alu. and just use epoxy resin and wood. This way you get the same 'feel' through the whole boat and it will all look the same as well; and you will not need to make holes in the hull.

Latest posts