First build: Tracker 1542

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom-W

Reaction score
Picked this boat up at BPS back in July, finally got around to doing some improving to it. The original plan was to keep it simple and cheap for my first build but the cheap part goes out the window fast, got a pile of receipts I dont want to tally up. Working on and off for about to weeks is how long it took to get mostly done, still waiting on my cup holders and battery tray to get here. Here are some pics of her.

Attachments

• IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 3,923
  • IMG_1662.jpg
    IMG_1662.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 3,923
  • IMG_1661.jpg
    IMG_1661.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 3,923
  • IMG_1660.jpg
    IMG_1660.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 3,923
  • IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 3,923
  • IMG_1654.jpg
    IMG_1654.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 3,923
  • IMG_1653.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 3,923
  • IMG_1643.jpg
    IMG_1643.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 3,923
  • IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 3,923
  • IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 3,923
Looks nice.

I'm going to get going on mine in the spring and will be sharing your philosophy. There is something to be said for simplicity.

Nice dude love that setup. Like how you set up the bow. I was wondering how i was going to set up for my trolling motor. Looks like i just found it. =D>

Unfortunately I did not take any pics of the framing for the trolling motor deck. Heres a pic before the deck on paint, the red horizontal lines are the same size wood used for the rest of the deck on the boat (1.5x1.5) and is stacked to the appropriate height for the plywood to sit on. Used aluminum angle to attach the framing to the front bench and 3"x3/4 corner braces to attach the rear motor/deck support to the wood deck below. Also used the same style corner braces to secure the cross braces to the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_1652.jpg
    IMG_1652.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 3,690
Nice job on the boat! The design made it stronger and more comfortable. I like keeping the middle part lower in case you take some kids in the boat too for that little margin of safety.

I am so glad you posted pictures of this boat I have been trying to decide if I want to buy the same boat you have I think you helped me make up my mind

ishootthings said:
i really like your floor. how did you do the braces?
I used aluminum angle from lowes and cut to needed size. On the rear floor I riveted the angle to the ribs at the points where it was not going to go through the hull. On the middle and front benches I riveted the angle to it for the frame to sit on. As far as the bow decking frame goes I used 3x3/4" corner braces to tie it together.

Tom,
What size wood did you use for the bracing? How thick is the decking material? I like the front of your boat as my wife like to fish for a couple of hours and then reads/tans while I fish.
Thanks
Steve

Oldgeek said:
Tom,
What size wood did you use for the bracing? How thick is the decking material? I like the front of your boat as my wife like to fish for a couple of hours and then reads/tans while I fish.
Thanks
Steve
the bracing is 2x2x8 furring strip from lowes but it really measures 1.5x1.5x8, its cheap and light weight. The decking is 15/32 exterior plywood from lowes (3 ply untreated). Then I treated all the wood with thompsons wood seal once cut to size.

DarkstarCrashes said:
Really nice clean layout.

I just bought a new Tracker 1542 about a week ago. Already thinking about a casting deck... 8)
Congrats on the purchase you will enjoy the 1542. Its good stable and not heavy boat. If you plan on putting an outboard on her I suggest a 25, when I got mine back in July I had an old 25 Evinrude on her an she flew till the lower unit took a crap.

Tom-W said:
DarkstarCrashes said:
Really nice clean layout.

I just bought a new Tracker 1542 about a week ago. Already thinking about a casting deck... 8)
Congrats on the purchase you will enjoy the 1542. Its good stable and not heavy boat. If you plan on putting an outboard on her I suggest a 25, when I got mine back in July I had an old 25 Evinrude on her an she flew till the lower unit took a crap.

I have the same boat with an 18hp. She will do around 23 mph with just me and my gear in the boat. Of course, I don't have the decking weight. A 25hp should push her along nicely.

Nice boat Tom. I had a question about ur pedastal seats. How secure are they. Do they wobble when ur sitting in them and did u just mount them directly to the plywood deck? I'm considering a 1542 myself. Great build BTW. I think I'm gonna steal some of ur ideas ;0)