First Spiral Wrap Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebcdave

Reaction score
I hated spiral wrap rods from the first time I saw one at a tackle show many years ago. The guides stuck out all over the place and looked very awkward. After I decided to make a super light weight 7ft casting rod capable of handling up to 17# line, spiral wrap guides started to make sense to me. New titanium guides which sit close to the blank work great when they hang under the blank instead of on top. A spiral wrap is the only way I could use these guides on a baitcast rod to keep the weight at a minimum. The result is a rod like no other I have ever used. I am considering a second spiral wrap rod after using it only one time. Maybe all my baitcasters will be switched over in time. If you build rods don't jump into a spiral wrap blindly, but I strongly urge you to consider that new style guides make it an option worth trying. Old dogs can learn new tricks. Keep'er Wet, Dave

What is the proper way to cast these - side arm or overhead? I do all of those depending on the direction I'm facing and if someone is in the boat with me.

Also - can you still pitch with it?

Spiral rods are awesome!

Here is one I had a built a few years back from Mattman. GLX Blank, Titanium Guides!

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/thumbnails.php?album=24

russ010 said:
What is the proper way to cast these - side arm or overhead? I do all of those depending on the direction I'm facing and if someone is in the boat with me.

Also - can you still pitch with it?
You can do anything with a spiral wrap that you can do with a conventional wrap rod. The main advantages are weight reduction and no twist (torque) to the blank under a load. It feels great, you just have to get used to the look of twisted guides. Keep'er Wet, Dave

Jim said:
Spiral rods are awesome!

Here is one I had a built a few years back from Mattman. GLX Blank, Titanium Guides!

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/thumbnails.php?album=24
That is a beautiful rod Jim. My interest in spiral wrap was fueled by searching on TinBoats. I feel like this rod will give me less fatigue and great feel which is what I need to compete with the young guys in our club. Bass fishing has become more fun for me. Keep'er Wet, Dave

I spiral wrap all of my personal casting rods. The biggest reason is because there is no down side to it. Only ups. The only downside anyone has ever really been able to come up with is looks (very subjective) and they are a little more difficult to get in and out of rod tubes.

Benefits to spiral wrapping as I see it…

1. Eliminate rod torque. With the guides on the bottom the pressure from the fish isn’t trying to spin the guides to the underside of the blank because they are already there and there is no twisting torque applied to the blank.

2. Eliminate line scrub. With a guides on top rod when you flex the rod the line can then touch the blank.

3. Reduction in weight. With a spiral wrap since line scrub isn’t an issue, fewer guides can be used. That helps with weight. With a spiral wrap single foot guides can be used even on the heaviest rods since there is no side pressure on the guides. The loss of an extra foot, thread and finish is a big help with the reduction in weight.

A reduction in weight (fewer guides, fewer guide feet, fewer wraps) is going to aid in sensitivity. All of those things add some encumbrance to the blank and reduce its efficiency in transmitting vibration.

You can see in this photo...two identical rods...one spiral wrapped and one conventional wrapped...both mounted in ball bearings...both with the same weight strung from reel seat, thru the guides... https://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Otterods/Reference/Spiral.jpg The conventionally wrapped rod wants to turn upside down because of the guides being on top of the rod. Once turned, this rod is very difficult to turn back. The spiral wrapped rod remains stable.

And here you can see how a blank twists... https://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Otterods/Reference/bentrod.jpg While most graphite rods can resist that force, it is still there. And if you can get rid of it, why not?

Mattman said:
I spiral wrap all of my personal casting rods. The biggest reason is because there is no down side to it. Only ups. The only downside anyone has ever really been able to come up with is looks (very subjective) and they are a little more difficult to get in and out of rod tubes.

Benefits to spiral wrapping as I see it…

1. Eliminate rod torque. With the guides on the bottom the pressure from the fish isn’t trying to spin the guides to the underside of the blank because they are already there and there is no twisting torque applied to the blank.

2. Eliminate line scrub. With a guides on top rod when you flex the rod the line can then touch the blank.

3. Reduction in weight. With a spiral wrap since line scrub isn’t an issue, fewer guides can be used. That helps with weight. With a spiral wrap single foot guides can be used even on the heaviest rods since there is no side pressure on the guides. The loss of an extra foot, thread and finish is a big help with the reduction in weight.

A reduction in weight (fewer guides, fewer guide feet, fewer wraps) is going to aid in sensitivity. All of those things add some encumbrance to the blank and reduce its efficiency in transmitting vibration.

You can see in this photo...two identical rods...one spiral wrapped and one conventional wrapped...both mounted in ball bearings...both with the same weight strung from reel seat, thru the guides... https://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Otterods/Reference/Spiral.jpg The conventionally wrapped rod wants to turn upside down because of the guides being on top of the rod. Once turned, this rod is very difficult to turn back. The spiral wrapped rod remains stable.

And here you can see how a blank twists... https://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Otterods/Reference/bentrod.jpg While most graphite rods can resist that force, it is still there. And if you can get rid of it, why not?
I agree 100% with what you say. The only issue that I have now is that all the other rods I have are now obsolete in the sense that they could be lighter and more sensitive with spiral wraps. Some of my favorites may get a new spiral wrap. Keep'er Wet, Dave