First tinboat...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiggere

Reaction score
Got a 1436 for flounder gigging and needed to put a deck on it...I have added lights to the trailer and am going to add the guide ons like I have seen here using the ladder stabilizer and pvc...I have taken the deck off to spray it with bed liner so i don't have a picture of it with the lights mounted...

It was wired already for flounder lights so I decided to take full advantage of that :)...here are the pics...I'll post again once I get it painted with the lights on it...

Light hookups:
IMG_1484.jpg

one of the three aluminum tubes used for the deck platform:
IMG_1481.jpg

Side view showing aluminum tube and 5/8" plywood deck:
boat005.jpg

Top of deck...waiting on cordless battery to recharge so I can screw it down:
boat001.jpg

Switches to turn flounder lights on/off...lights were done using quick disconnects so I can take them off the boat for wade gigging...and to make it easier to transport them to and from without worrying about them rolling around in the boat:
boat003.jpg

I am looking for a 3.5 or 4 hp outboard to get me across channels and to add a little more weight to the back of the boat...it should help stabilize it a bit more...although I was quite impressed with how stable it is without a motor...this is a one person gigging boat...I won't be taking anyone in it unless its just to get us to a large flat to wade gig...its no where near large enough to fit two people on the front and not take a swim...

Also wanted to say thanks to everyone here...I just registered tonight but have been lurking for months...its with all the posts here that helped me get this done...

Flounder....not halibut. :D And he is in on the North Carolina coast! Flounder gigging is a blast,you would love it. What areas do you gig in? We(family) used to gig in the ICW in various places but mostly Bogue inlet. There are flounder there almost as big as halibut!

mostly Fort Fisher area...got a couple new spots I want to try when the fish come back in but will need a motor to get there...just too much current to try and cross the ICW with a paddle...I have only gigged one fish so far (16 3/4") and that was wade gigging...I stepped off into some black mud and went under to the tops of my waders...took me about 15 minutes or better to get out of that stuff...so I went and got me a boat to gig from...more for safety than anything else...for those not familiar with black mud...it ain't got a bottom to it...its like quicksand with a firm 2" top that when you step on it it feels like your walking on a lillypad or something...it don't feel right...as soon as you shift your weight to get off it breaks and in you go...scary stuff especially when you are gigging by yourself in a remote area...

BTW...the wife named the boat a few days ago...its a 1973 model so she named it "Hope It Floats"... #-o

I'm gonna gig me some of them flounder one of these days. I've caught a few on accident, and they were quite tasty. I should have room for a generator on my tin. I gotta build something to hold some lights and try it. Good luck with yours!

tiggere said:
BTW...the wife named the boat a few days ago...its a 1973 model so she named it "Hope It Floats"... #-o

!!! That is hilarious :)
I've stepped into that black mud crap before, but luckily I only sank down about 2 feet. I'd probably drop some of my own black mud in my pants if I sank as deep as you did, if you know what I mean...

Got any pics of the spear you use for gigging?

its just a three prong fish spear...don't get the frog gigging spears as the tines are not as strong...I have it on a wood handle...then I took a piece of 1 1/4" PVC and slid it over the top of the wood to make it into a push pole...works good...has a little too much flex and if the wind is blowing makes for alot of work...

If your gonna run a genny these are the lights to get... https://www.e-conolight.com/floods/small/small-hid/e-hc2h151z.html ...the are 150w HPS and the guys on bowfishing country swear by them...caps are built in so its a plug in play light...I will switch over to the dark side eventually but for now I like the quite...

Latest posts