Fish Finder recommendations - Stryker 4 Vivid vs PiranhaMax 4 DI

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bantou

Reaction score
Which one would you recommend? The Stryker has GPS and the Piranha doesn't but I've heard that humminbird typically has better resolution than Garmin. Price points are nearly the same for both models. Going to a bigger unit isn't in the budget right now.

The only fish finders I've had are Hummingbird. I graduated from the PiranhaMax to a Helix 7. I thought the PiranhaMax was pretty neat but of course it is a small screen and limited to sonar. It looks like the Garmin Stryker will do a split screen. That is kind of cool, IMO.

With my current Helix 7, in actual use I pay as much attention to the lake contour lines as I do to the sonar. So for me GPS is a big deal.

The Stryker doesn't accept conventional maps unfortunately, it does tracking and that's about it. The vivid and plus have "active mapping" but I've read mixed reviews about it. I have navionics for my phone, but the phone goes to sleep unless you are messing with it. makes it kind of a pain when you are running across the lake and watching for sand bars/shallow islands.

The Stryker doesn't accept conventional maps unfortunately, it does tracking and that's about it. The vivid and plus have "active mapping" but I've read mixed reviews about it. I have navionics for my phone, but the phone goes to sleep unless you are messing with it. makes it kind of a pain when you are running across the lake and watching for sand bars/shallow islands.

If no base map that would defeat the purpose for me.

I have had a Striker 4 for some time, it's now on my bow trolling motor. Use traditional downlooking sonar only.

The GPS is really nice, mark boat launches, save routes, mark hot fishing spots, and find fish habitats. When I fished some unfamiliar bayou's, it was nice to be able to backtrack my way out.

But you can do all the GPS and a lot of mapping from a smart phone.

Sonar and Display is very good, but my advice is go to a store and look at them in demo mode to get an idea of how they look.