Fishfinder for Blazer Jet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust Farmer

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a decent fishfinder for an 1852 Blazer SS Outboard Jet. Obviously I'd love a $2,000+ Side Imaging unit, but I can't justify dropping that much on a fishfinder. I'll be using it mainly for catfish and general river running. Of course it depends on river stage, but most of the holes I'll be fishing around are 15' or less, but I know of a couple 40'+ scour holes.

I'm thinking Down Imaging would be nice. GPS would be good too, but isn't a must.

I've been looking at a Humminbird 581i DI. I originally saw it listed at Cabela's for $399, but I think I can get one off eBay for $329.

Link to Humminbird 581i DI at Cabela's

Humminbird doesn't list it on their website, so I'm having a hard time verifying the specs.

Any other thoughts or suggestions around the $350 price point or less? I'm tempted to go with about the cheapest dual beam Humminbird and wait it out a couple years to see what happens with the newer technology and prices.

Thanks,
sf

DI will give you better detail over the 2D screen, but would never go without 2D. Better for IDing log jams and other structure. I assume cats don't suspend much, so a wide 83kHz beam probably doesn't help much. If it is a big river, I would expect gps waypoints would be a great help, especially when fishing at night.

I took a quick look at the current HB models, and was surprised they don't have a B&W 2D/DI GPS combo.

I am assuming this is a discontinued model, and doesn't show on HB website. Maybe a speciality model, made just for cabelas?

I'd bet it's a Cabelas exclusive. They've been known to get certain units that are only availibly to them (they've got a Lowrance unit that's like this I found out from a Lowrance rep). There was an HB 581i - but it was never available in the DI version. I seem to remember Cabelas offering a 4" color unit from HB with "DI" that normally didn't come with it. I'd be a little leery and get confirmation before I put money down on it.

For the money, if you're not necessarily in need of GPS, I'd take the extra money that usually goes with that and go to a color unit. The HB color screens are SHARP.

I'd recommend going with a color display. Much easier to read. I hae a HB 383c that I've had for a few years, use it on my big boat in the Gulf and the intercoastal, and it's served me well. There are 2 right now on ebay, both under $300.

The 570 is a sub $300 unit that has DI, and there is also the 385 which has a built in GPS, and dual beam sonar.

Don't forget Craig's list, I got very lucky, and found a nearly new HB 798ci SI for $700.
The Di is good feature also if you can afford it. Also, check out the Unofficial HB website for
model specific forums :)

Latest posts