Fuel leaks when priming outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave11

Reaction score
I was having some trouble cold starting my outboard 2006 nissan 9.8 the other day and thought maybe I flooded the engine. I noticed some fuel in the water, so I took off the top found some gasoline. Apparently fuel is squirting out of the carb when I prime my motor. I thought maybe I just over primed it and flooded the engine. Not sure if that should happen.

Eventually, I got it started. I ran the motor with no fuel line until it quit. Then reconnected the line and primed in some fuel with no leaks until the maybe the fourth of fifth pump.

Once the motor gets going it runs all day on the first or second pull and I never need to touch the primer bulb, it is just the cold start that is giving me a little hang up.

Am I just priming too much or do I have a valve stuck in the carb? Any suggestions. Thanks.

netman said:
you should only prime until you feel resistance. Mine is 3 presses on a cold start. Hope that helps.

I agree with Netman!!

Happy fishing!

cajuncook1

Latest posts