Fuse question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pruitt1222

Reaction score
I recently added a electric starter to my outboard, Right now its not fused. I am wanting to add a a inline fuse and mount it under the hood of the motor. I was thinking about using a fuse block for a car audio system, That would give my tons of amperage options. From 5 amps to 120 amps, The local auto store sells them for about 10 bucks. Any one see a problem with this? Its a way cheaper option the the reset circuit breaker I used on the trolling motor. What Kind of amperage do you think the starter uses?

Attachments

• G9-37.jpg
    G9-37.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 332
I'm not familiar with those fuses.
Can it handle the intial load of a motor?
When an electric motor starts it draws a ton more power/amps than it does while running. You need a fuse that cna handle the intial draw, yet protect the circuit once the motor drops down to regular load. Back in the old days when homes had fuses, the fuses would blow when teh washing machine, or refridgerator kicked on. People put pennies behind the fuse, which defeated the purpose of the fuse, then a "delayed" fuse was developed for the washer circuit.

No idea what the load/amps of that motor will be, however you need to make sure the fuse can handle the intial load without blowing.

If this was an add on, do you have any paperwork? that should tell you the max amperage draw. Since your fuse in line can accept up to 120 amp fuses; it should be able to do the job. For example if the max amp is 50 amps you could set it up w/ a 60 amp fuse.

Unlike a circuit breaker; you should purchase extra fuses so you can make a repair. Generally trouble shooting a problem that would blow a fuse takes 2 - 3 more fuses...

Latest posts