fuse question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamoo

Reaction score
Got to the lake and trolloing motor wouldnt work, I got home, checked the wires and my fuse holder was melted, got the fuse out (had to break it) the fuse didnt blow. It came with a replacement fuse that I put in and trolling motor is working. The fuse is stamped buss agc 40 amp and the other end has a 32 on it. The trolling motor is a 12 volt bow mount MinnKota 40 lb thrust. Is the fuse too big? Im having a hard time finding another replacement. Should the fuse have blown? Im a little worried my boat will catch fire if it happens again. I dont know when it melted, last time out everything was cool. I did stay on the motor full tilt for awhile. What you guys think?

I do not think fuse was to big.
My guess had moisture or poor connection at fuse holder, which caused resistance and heat.

Wallijig said:
I do not think fuse was to big.
My guess had moisture or poor connection at fuse holder, which caused resistance and heat.
+1
Replace the fuse holder and you should be fine.

I had my TM quit and it had an inline fuse that was all corroded. I took it out and replaced it with a circuit breaker which is near the battery. I used a manual resettable circuit breaker.

+1 on loose connection in or at the fuse holder. See fuse holders melt everyday at my work.

Gramps50 said:
I had my TM quit and it had an inline fuse that was all corroded. I took it out and replaced it with a circuit breaker which is near the battery. I used a manual resettable circuit breaker.
This is the best answer imho

If you can't find a fuseholder or circuit breaker let me know. I have some extra AGU fuseholders at work.They are a little larger than AGC. I can throw one along with a few 40a fuses in an envelope and mail it to you free of charge.

Thanks for the comeback guys.

Mr. Palmer, thanks for the offer, I think I'm going to go with the circuit breaker cause in a couple months I'll be upgrading to a 24 volt TM. One more question sir, would the 50 amp circuit breaker handle a 24 vol TM.

An other reason to use a maually resetable circuit breaker that attached directly to the battery. Most of the fuse holders that you buy in the auto parts store are not rated for the amperage that you are drawing with a trolling motor.

The amperage used can vary depending on alot of factors. Wire size, the strain a motor is under. If your propeller gets in a bind, you can pull a lot of power and melt some wires. The amps you motor pulls can vary with the conditions. You want a breaker that is small enough that you do not melt the insolation off your wires but big enough so that you do not blow the breaker under normal conditons.

I think a rule of thumb is that a trolling motor will pull about 1 amp for each pound of thrust.

Also, I believe wires can handle the following amounts of power.
60 amp = #6 wire
50 amp = #8 wire
40 amp = #10 wire

Attachments

• circuit breaker.jpg
    circuit breaker.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 690
The auto store fuse holders are made with #12 or #14 wire. This is not heavy enough to sustain the current draw of the TM. That's why MotorGuide says to use #6 wire for any additional wire that is not included as part of the TM.

Reading the posts on this forum, particularly in the electrical section shows that the general theme here is to see how cheaply something can be done. Electrical components are not the place to cheap out. Buy quality parts that are designed to do the job needed and go buy a cheap rod or reel to make up the difference.

The fuse holder I offered up doesn't have wire on it at all. It has an opening that will accept up to #4 and set screws to hold the wire in. I work in the car audio field. We stock #0 wire and fuses up to 300A.

shamoo said:
Thanks for the comeback guys.

Mr. Palmer, thanks for the offer, I think I'm going to go with the circuit breaker cause in a couple months I'll be upgrading to a 24 volt TM. One more question sir, would the 50 amp circuit breaker handle a 24 vol TM.
Pretty sure the 50 amp CB will be fine...a 24V sysytem uses half the amps a 12V system does.
I guess it would depend on how big of a 24 V TM you plan on going to...I still say you'll be fine though.

You might find this thread from the Texas Fishing Forum interesting but it just reinforces what the members on this forum have already said.

It should never hurt your trolling motor for the circuit breaker to be too small. Your breaker will just be more prone to blowing if it is too small. Minn Kota seems to recommend 60 amp breakers for all trolling motors when they use to recommend 30 amp breakers for 30# motors. Probably the most important thing is to have a circuit breaker and the size is secondary. I would recommend matching the circuit breaker to the size wire that you use.

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3139709/Proper_Circuit_Breaker_for_Tro

For a TM, you will probably use the wire recommended by the TM manufacturer, either #8 or #6. You don't want to use a circuit breaker that exceeds the current carrying capacity of the wire,

I found this:
1272733450_MKampdraw.jpg
Guess that 50amp circuit breaker may trip at WOT...sorry.
Probably better with 6 gauge wire and a 60amp breaker.
Hopefully someone will chime in and say if they do use a 50amp with a 80 lbs trolling motor.I use a smaller CB on my trolling motor then what is recommended,it hasn't tripped yet but I seldom go at WOT.

Just wanted to say what Bob said above me but in different words...make sure you use the right size wire that can handle the amps or the wire will become the fuse(not good).Thats what probably happened to your fuse holder in your first post,it couldn't handle the current(amps) and was melting like a fuse(could start a fire)