galvinized trailer ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilkins26

Reaction score
my boat trailer is galvinized and is missing some bolts and I need to replace them....Can I use stainless or do they have to be galvinized.thanks mike

i am in need of some nuts and bolts for my galvanized trailer also and went to menards tonight and got galvanized bolts and then got stainless nuts and washers cause there where no galvanized nuts and washers or at least i could not find them

diabetik11 said:
i am in need of some nuts and bolts for my galvanized trailer also and went to menards tonight and got galvanized bolts and then got stainless nuts and washers cause there where no galvanized nuts and washers or at least i could not find them

It's OK to use stainless on a galvanized trailer, but I would caution against mixing the 2 with fasteners, such as SS bolts with galvanized nuts, or vice-versa. That is setting up potential electrolysis....and the fastener, or the area of the trailer it contacts, may corrode quicker with 2 dissimilar metals in conjunction like that.

Spray paint the stainless with galvanized paint and you will be fine for quite a few years. The electrolysis is called galvanic corrosion at which point two dissimilar metals have different corrosion rates and the lesser of the two which galvanized is the anode will have an accelerated corrosion rate especially when water is added