gas mixture

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

static

Reaction score
ok I read before I ask. Im new to the forum. I have a 1961 18hp evinrude, on this site it says gas mixture is 24:1 I was told 50:1. I was on the water trying it out, I have to hold the choke and pull the chord at the same time because the choke isn't working. it slides back in if you don't hold it. so anyways it started, I held it for about 15 sec- let it go it sputter for a little while then it shut down, after that I could not get it to start. I'm a xerox tech don't know anything about boat motors, the plan is to change the fuel filter, plugs & gas pump. any ideas?

static said:
ok I read before I ask. Im new to the forum. I have a 1961 18hp evinrude, on this site it says gas mixture is 24:1 I was told 50:1. I was on the water trying it out, I have to hold the choke and pull the chord at the same time because the choke isn't working. it slides back in if you don't hold it. so anyways it started, I held it for about 15 sec- let it go it sputter for a little while then it shut down, after that I could not get it to start. I'm a xerox tech don't know anything about boat motors, the plan is to change the fuel filter, plugs & gas pump. any ideas?
I had an 80’s 15 hp Evinrude that was a finicky starter. On that motor you choked it till it popped then, with choke off, give it about half throttle and it would start. If you tried to start it with not enough throttle it’d flood and be hard as heck to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I would guess you flooded it.

Try and remember that it is easier to give it more choke and pull it a couple more times than it is to clear it out after being flooded.

24:1 theres bushings in the cranckcase that require more lubrication than bearings do....

Check your fuel tank( inside where the gas goes to the line, check the line outside the tank and your primer bulb...pull the fuel pump off and squeeze your primer bulb and see if the pumps getting fuel, then pull fuel line off carb and squeeze primer bulb...if all thats good remove carb, disassemble it and clean it( soak in carb cleaner or acetone) good making sure the orfices and the tiny holes in the venturi are not clogged...ive never seen a choke knob that pulls back in so im not sure bout that

The choke has a detent that holds it closed, sounds like yours is missing or broken. You shouldn't have to hold it.

Sounds to me like the fuel system needs going through, make sure that you pull the main jet orifice out of the carb bowl and clean it. It's under the hex plug that looks like a drain. There is a square O-ring that goes between the bowl and the carb body, ensure that it is there and in good shape too.

Thanks guys Im a xerox tech don't know much about boat motors. I know cars though. I'm going to give this a shot , so I took it apart starting with everything related to fuel, The fuel filter had lots of sheddings coming off so I'm going to say that it needs to be change so I'm going to change out the
gas pump and replace the plugs the person that told me about the Mix ratio was a boat motor repair guy I also paid him to work on this motor and just from joining this group I've pick up things a boat mechanic should have taken care of. smh

Hint.....
There are lots of "boat motor repair guys" that are not capable of finding their butt with both hands!
Lots of mechanical reasons why your engine was designed to run on 24:1 mixture and nothing less.
Read up on it in this forum as there are tons of references to fuel ratios.
Good luck with your engine and know there are folks here that can help and not lead you astray.

Latest posts