Generator auxiliary fuel tank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Reaction score
I grew up with a 4000watt green Coleman generator. My parents bought it new 30 plus years ago. It had a 1.5-gallon tank, and you could get an available 5-gallon tank.
My parents chose not to get the 5-gallon tank. Some years back my brother bought the generator I started looking to increase the fuel capacity. While I did find a tank that works for that generator, I also found what was told to me is an oil tank for a combine, it's 21x13x15 so 18 gallons, with a 2+inch fill cap and a gravity feed 1/4" bung out. I went to remove a 1/4" nipple from the bung with my Tiny Pipe Wrench. I was not happy to see the bung spinning instead of the nipple unscrewing. I took a good look at the bung and saw a coating was painted around the bung to seal it. I cleaned the area with acetone on a rag, the paint started to come off showing someone tried to seal the bung with solder.

I knew this was not going to do, I can get 3/8"x16npt weld in petcock bungs. I use a mapps gas torch to burn off the paint, sealer and melt the solder. I got everything cleaned up and could see this was not a weld in bung, I couldn't tell how the bung was even held in place. First, I tried a hole saw I put the pilot bit into the 1/4" nipple started to turn the hole saw by hand to cut through a wide part of the bung and noticed by moving the hole saw back and forth and side to side I could get a wide screwdriver under the bung. I moved around with the screwdriver as I moved the bung. It took a while, but I was able to get bung out and no real damage to the tank. I used a small ball peen hammer to tap around the bung hole bring the bottom of tank back as it started.

The new weld in bungs need a .750 hole the hole left by the old bung was .624. I used a step bit to open up hole. The new bung has a 1" flange. New bungs should be here soon, then off to get it TIG'd in.

Latest posts