gonna give a try at painting 10 ft jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flajsh

Reaction score
Reading all these mode has got me itching to do some things to my little boat.
I have read tons of posts lol.
a little over whelmed too. I have read about priming with self etching primer.
the hull is not taken all they way to the aluminum but there are spots that are.
So what kind of primer and since it's a small boat I want to use spray cans.

Can I pick up the primer I need at loses or home depot.

I should add that it will be fished in saltwater on the flats.
I picked up the self etching primer but I realized that most of the forum is freshwater :oops:
So now I really don't know what type primer and paint to use.
I'll. Try to add a pic too.

Took them with my android and emailed them so I can post from my kindle fire not sure how big they are.

Hi flajsh. I'm assuming you're Florida guy like me (I'm in Tallahassee)? A basic paint job is actually pretty straight forward. First, just sand down the boat using 220 grit paper to remove and flaking/loose paint. (You could get it soda blasted, if you want to take the whole thing down to bare metal.) Then wipe down the entire hull with TSP (tri-sodium phosphate), acetone, or a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water). These are just organic solvents which will remove any oily residues prior to priming. Once it is all dry, apply a light coat of the Zinc-Chromate self-etching primer and let dry, then apply a second light coat if needed. After the primer has fully cured, you can paint away. There are many brands, but rustoleum marine, interlux are popular. You can either apply the paint using a roller, or you can apply using an aerosol can (Rustoleum Professional/Industrial Aluminum Paint works well). The results will mostly depend on your prep and patience. After you've applied the first coat of paint, follow the instructions on the can for applying further coats. Remember several light coats are better than one thick one. That's really about it. Like most paint jobs, it's all in the prep. I would also take the time to seal/fill any leaks you may have prior to painting of course. The interior seams of the boat can be painted with an epoxy product called Gluvit, which goes on like honey, but cures tough and flexible. It will then need to painted for UV protection. Any holes can be either repaired by an experienced aluminum welder, or patched up using a product like JB weld. Hope that helps. Holler if you get stuck. Go Noles!

Thank you kfa. Yes I'm in Fla west coat right by clearwater.
I have a lot sanded down as soon as I can figure out how to post pics from my kindle fire I will.

thinking of doing a green or silver paint.
and herculiner on floor.dont know if i should put some decking on for storage in front with carpet,
i think ill be limited because of how small it is.

Attachments

• IMAG0432.jpg
    IMAG0432.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 1,226
  • IMAG0433.jpg
    IMAG0433.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 1,226
I used Rustoleum marine paint they sell at lowes. It's for topside but none the less I've had good results. Took mine to a sand blaster and didn't use primer. Salt use. I've rode the guide on's off the trailer hard many times with not a scratch. Also used a roller to apply many times with other paint jobs. Two coats, turned out really nice. Trick, use foam roller so fibers aren't left in the paint.

A lot of guys use implement paint too since it tends to be more durable. Also consider epoxy floor paint as well. Before you paint make sure you don't have any leaks by filling the inside of the boat with water. If you have to hammer/anvil a rivet it would be best to do this before it has fresh paint.

Gonna do the primer today. Got my acetone and micro fiber towel and gonna give it a whirl.
Still wondering if I can build a deck on this thing.not really for standing but more for storage.
and maybe a seat.or a place for my wife to sun herself if I can get her on it. :wink:

Got primer on.hope i used enough acetone.
Just trying to figure out color.maybe a blue with a silver stripe.

Attachments

• IMAG0438.jpg
    IMAG0438.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 1,181
  • IMAG0437.jpg
    IMAG0437.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,181
Luged into my cramped garage so i can finish priman.
It was windy here on west coast fl.
I hope to lightly sand primer and paint tomorrow.
Navy blue.

How should i wipe down after sanding primer.

Some pics

Attachments

• IMAG0489.jpg
    IMAG0489.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,066
  • IMAG0491.jpg
    IMAG0491.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,066
  • IMAG0490.jpg
    IMAG0490.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,066

Latest posts