Good Scum Remover

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave11

Reaction score
The previously owner of my boat had it docked at a lake and there is a nice layer of scum baked onto the bottom. It is alot tougher than your average water line marks. I have tried various cleaners with no success. Anybody recommend a good cleaner suitable for aluminum that would remove the scum and not the paint. I would rather wipe it off with a cleaner than have to scrub it off.

Dave11 said:
The previously owner of my boat had it docked at a lake and there is a nice layer of scum baked onto the bottom. It is alot tougher than your average water line marks. I have tried various cleaners with no success. Anybody recommend a good cleaner suitable for aluminum that would remove the scum and not the paint. I would rather wipe it off with a cleaner than have to scrub it off.

I hear ya brother! I posted this same question a few weeks ago. :beer:
What I used on my fiberglass tri-hull & it worked FANTASTIC, was Muratic Acid (suggested to me by a marina after I tried the store shelf cleaning products that didn't work). I put it on with a soft scrunb brush & less than 30 seconds after application I washed it off & the baked on scum was no more. WARNING: Unless your wife or kids are on fire or dying do not leave it on for more than one minute. HOWEVER I do not know what the effect Muratic Acid will have on your paint or the aluminum. Best to call your local marina & ask FIRST. ALSO, IF you decide to go this route, WEAR GLOVES & a mask is highly recommended (so is a well ventilated area/outside) as this stuff can get nasty.
Good luck!

If you can't find anything that works, PM and I can tell you about some stuff my company sells that should take it right off.

Latest posts