Gotta get a new battery charger. What's a good one?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boney

Reaction score
Gotta get a new deep cycle battery and charger. I'll probably go with a Wal-Mart Everstart battery but what chargers have you guys had good luck with and which ones would you stay away from? The Minn Kota gets pretty good reviews.

I bought a Schumacher charger at WM, single bank 6amp with 2amp maintain function (smart charger) for $30 a few weeks ago, no issues so far.

:twisted: My Guest on board charger is over ten years old. Still going strong. Stay away from Pro Mariner. They seem to overheat and die rather quickly.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Pro-Series-High-Performance-Waterproof-Battery-Chargers/738062.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D0%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dbattery%2Bcharger%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search%3Dbattery%2Bcharger%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D34%26y%3D12&Ntt=battery+charger&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products
Works great.

fish devil said:
:twisted: My Guest on board charger is over ten years old. Still going strong. Stay away from Pro Mariner. They seem to overheat and die rather quickly.

This what I have with no issues.

The issue i have with smart chargers is that when power trips you have to tell the "smart" charger what battery you have,what voltage,etc....otherwise the thing just sits in program mode and in the mean time your battery doesn't get charged.This happened to me,the on board battery charger "intelligent" type waited for my input....due to a power blip ....the boat being outside,covered how was i supposed to know.Got me a Battery Tender with 10 years warranty that will charge all types of batteries ,including AGM's and if there was a power blip the thing starts all over on its own,when detected a full charge then it goes into trickle mode !.....no more BS !

Bought this late last fall and have nothing but praises so far. Been doing everything it's supposed to do without a hitch.

MINN KOTA MK 345 PC PRECISION DIGITAL CHARGER 3 BANK X 15A

Latest posts