Guide On Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hadn't heard of the ladder stabilizer design before, but I like it. My personal source for them is trampoline legs. Seems someone always has a trampoline frame missing the mat for free, just haul it off. Pre-bent galvanized legs, and often, the distance is just right for smaller tinnies and jons, so no sectioning in the middle is needed.

These are the best addition I've done to my boat so far. Ya'll know what it's like to try to load your boat on your own in the wind! Since adding these loading the boat has become a breeze. I was able to add extra support for mine by putting a 3" bolt with a couple washers and a nylon nut through my rear trailer bunk support. Darn things are pretty sturdy now. Here are some pics.
Boat04.jpg

Boat03.jpg

Boat02.jpg

Trailer guides is one of my next trailer mods.
Great idea, i'll have to look into it.
Imight be able to get everything for freee.

The trampoline hasnt been used in a couple years, and im remodeling my brothers basement to include the bathroom.There are a couple of 4' long 2" pieces left over. maybe i can get to them before he tosses them.

Now, go one step further and mount yours lights there so they are always out out of the water. I also added side bunks for drive-on loading to keep the feet dry in the winter months. Down here on the Gulf Coast in Texas, we fish year round, so you need to stay dry as much as possible, and because of the salt water issue. The salt water can ruin the light bulb housings in about 3 months of steady dousing in the water, see pics below

Attachments

• extended lights2.jpg
    extended lights2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 2,012
  • extended lights.jpg
    extended lights.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 2,012
  • bunk.board.jpg
    bunk.board.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 2,012
Great idea guys! =D> I will be copy this project this weekend and figuring a way to add my lights as well...

Thanks!
Sean

Rust hook, my buddy and I were thhinking about the same thing the other day so we wouldnt have to have flags and unplug the lights when we launched/retrieved. I like the idea.

Rusty hook where did you get the side bunks at? They look really good and would really help in loading. I am with you I believe I will also have to put my lights "up" to help maintain them. Easier for those crazy drivers behind you to see also! :wink:

Really love the idea of lights being high up on the PVC poles 8) . Adds a huge safety factor to me. Can some one tell me why have trailers gotten away with the horizontal side bunks? I have always loved them for those windy days and I have a comfort level with them when going 70 MPH down the highway. I can see where the PVC poles give you a advantage when backing up but horizontal side bunks seem more functional.

zuknuk said:
Rusty hook where did you get the side bunks at? They look really good and would really help in loading. I am with you I believe I will also have to put my lights "up" to help maintain them. Easier for those crazy drivers behind you to see also! :wink:

I bought mine at Academy near Houston, but any trailer supply company should have them or be able to order them. The lights came from Ebay, they just slide onto the 2" pvc pipe already on the trailer. The lights are great for dark, dusk unloading or loading up. The truck backup lights reflect off the pvc poles when backing up so you see the trailer position at all times. Its real nice on real steep ramps also.

This seems like a great idea. Been looking at Guide Ons and holly crap are they expensive. This seems much cheaper for the same results. Thanks!

here is a link to some of the PVC pipe lights for those who want to order them.. $40 for the set + shipping, seems a bit steep to me, but they do look pretty nice.

I think I can make the same using a heat gun and a set of taillights from Harbor Freight.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pipe-Light-Pipe-Lights-Boat-Trailer-Kit-PVC-Guide-Post-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem519564fda4QQitemZ350398774692QQptZMotorsQ5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCamperQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I will definitely be copying this design. It is excellent and cost effective. Trying to put my boat on the trailer is nearly impossible by yourself without guides.

Latest posts