Hard to remove plywood from transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrazyAboutTin

Reaction score
Hello there.
I just acquire a 1977, 16ft aluminum StarCraft that have suffered sever water damage, thus all the plywood must be replaced.
I have removed everything from the boat, leaving the boat on its bear metal. However I have not been able to extract the plywood from the transom. Somehow it is stuck against the aluminum.
I have tried various ways to no avail.
I have the suspicion that there are salt crystals formations that are creating a friction and don't let the plywood slide up.
I was thinking on pouring some water in between the two surfaces, hoping it will dissolve the salt, but I am not sure.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Are you sure it is stuck to the aluminum? The reason I ask is that I just tore out a 1990 starcraft and had the same problem with the transom floor board. Turned out that was the only place with 2 part foam poured and the foam stuck to the wood and was also under some aluminum brackets causing it not to budge. I eventually was able to pull hard enough that it came off leaving a surface layer of now rotten wood that bonded to the foam.

Good morning.
Thanks for your reply.
As far as I can see, there is no foam. Only the plywood, exposed on the inside the boat and covered by the aluminum on the rear.
The wood has separated from the metal about 12" deep, but deep inside I can see what seems like gross salt crystals between wood and metal.
I have no leverage or space to introduce any tool to pry the ply out, and there is where I am stuck.
Thanks

With everything disconnected/unbolted that transom should flex some. And with the wood side exposed, on a similar layout I once hammered thin wood shims ~1/16"down between the transom skin and wood and then used a skilsaw to rip the plywood in pieces, with the cut depth set only to the thickness of the wood. Those sims just gave me a little insurance against an errant saw cut. Even judicious application of a thin pry bar would help.

I'm sure it's just swelled up and 'locked' in place ...

Thanks y'all!! I finally did it!
Adopting the "hanging" version, I was able,(after hundreds of blows with a dead blow hammer),to "disengage" the ply from the aluminum transom.
There was about a pound of salt crystals where the ply rests.
The task is done. Now is time to start the rebuilding process.
Thanks again

Hello!
Yes! there is a lot of progress.
I finally removed "everything" from the boat and now I just have an empty shell. Exactly the way I like it? :wink:
After sandblasting the hull, I am ready to star the painting process.
I patched all the corrosion dents and blemishes with J&B Marine Weld(excellent!). I also reinforced(with the same product), the rear end of the hull.
This is my plan:
-Wash the hull with aluminum boat etch wash.
-Apply two coats of Marine Tech Gluvit.
-Two coats primer.
-Three coats paint.

Then flip it over and start building the inside of the boat.
I am enjoying it.
Thanks for asking 8)