help me pick a sonar unit out

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacob

Reaction score
any want to help me pick out a fish/depth finder? i am wanting one with either down imiging or side imiging. gps isnt needed since the lakes i usually fish are not to big. i have been looking at the hummingbird 596c hd di or the lowrance elite 5x dsi but i dont have my heart set on one specific unit yet. im am on about a $600.00 budget. any recommendations or opinions youd like to share would be great. thanks in advance

I just saw the budget so my post really isn't going to help that much but used my 798HDSI for the first time today and was really impressed. good luck with your search!

For under $600, I would probably go with a color Humminbird unit. They have the best resolution for that price range. I think most of their 500 series are 640x640 and have the Switchfire software which will show you a fishs' poop....

Here are a few to check out -

(if I had $600 to spend, this would be the one) HBird 597ci (with GPS) - https://www.basspro.com/Humminbird-...PS-Fishfinder-Combo/product/10210241/-1751570

HBIRD 596c - https://www.basspro.com/Humminbird-596c-Sonar-Fishfinder/product/10210242/-1751583

I have the Humminbird 798. haven't got it on the water yet but I have been spendnig a lot of time playing with it in the simulation mode and I love it.

i like that 596c di hd unit. i really dont need a gps unit. well maybe not. can you save points on these units with the gps? that would let me get rid of my hand held gps unit.

jacob said:
i like that 596c di hd unit. i really dont need a gps unit. well maybe not. can you save points on these units with the gps? that would let me get rid of my hand held gps unit.

yea, I didn't look at the specs on it, but my guess is it will hold atleast 3000, possibly up to 5000 like my Lowrance HDS7

I have my eye on the HBird 596 DI unit also. With the higher resolution and other features it's the best unit for the lakes I fish. I fish all electric lakes so the gps will only be used for way points and speed.

Latest posts