Help Please! Minn Kota Edge 40

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RivRunR

Reaction score
My MK Edge 40 bow mount started making noise yesterday. When I pulled it out of the water to see what was up, I could spin the cylinder / housing between the prop and the skeg (or whatever it is) a little. If you turn it to just the right spot it works fine, but the slightest turn one way or the other and it's making noise again. Even after I turned it to the sweet spot, when I put it back in the water it would start doing it again almost immediately. It still works, but it sounds like a blender when I use it.

Any help would be appreciated!

how old is it? They come with 2 year manufacture warranty. I had to bring mine in because the direction arrow was not working. I showed my receipt, and they fixed it with no problems.

cali27 said:
how old is it? They come with 2 year manufacture warranty. I had to bring mine in because the direction arrow was not working. I showed my receipt, and they fixed it with no problems.

Don't know how old, it came on the boat when I got it, but it is definitely out of warranty.

The sound isn't like something's gotten inside it, it's more like the motor housing is causing the noise somehow. The motor housing slips probably an inch both ways, and makes noise on either end of its travel, but in the middle it's fine. I don't know how it's supposed to be held in place.

Follow up...
After finding an exploded diagram on the www, I pulled the prop off and there are 2 long bolts that hold the cylinder (among other things). At first I just torqued them both down pretty hard, but that just made the noise worse, so I backed them off a bit, and with the motor running I gradually torqued one and then the other until the noise went away.
Just thought if someone else has this problem that this would help...

Latest posts