Help with My glass boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwave

Reaction score
Let the fun begin. I just exposed the gas tank in my glass boat and discovered the dreaded waterlogged foam mess. Does anyone have any advise on the best way to remove the foam around my gas tank so I can pull it out and inspect for leaks and damage. Fool If I remember right you had to do the same thing with your boat. I really don't want to remove the entire deck, I am thinking of knife and shop vac.

Attachments

• 20140316_100008_resized.jpg
    20140316_100008_resized.jpg
    964.7 KB · Views: 339
The fuel tank should be able to be removed with out cutting any glass. Otherwise, just as you said, knife, big screwdriver, flat piece of steel, whatever it takes to break it up and get it out.

In order to remove the tank I will have to remove the console, then another longer deck cover. The tank looks to be over 6' long and the only way to remove is to take the center console off. Looks like a good long weekend project......the foam needs to go.....it is soaking wet and I am sure that the stuff weighs a ton. Note to self, do not leave the plug in when it rains. I did on accident and I am sure that is what made all the foam wet. The entire bilge area was full and my stupid float switch is bad. I will post up some pics when I get everything unbuttoned. I can tell you that even though it is two part closed cell foam, it still holds water. This boat is from 1987 and is getting a major overhaul.

I was referring to cutting the foam out, not any fiberglass. Just clarification if there was any confusion.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=345093#p345093 said:
redbug » Yesterday, 14:44[/url]"]What about a simple air test on the tank??
I thought I would do just that, however when I opened up the rear access hatch I noticed that all the foam around the tank was completely soaked with water. I could not live with knowing that all that foam is water logged. The hoses looked pretty bad too, so the will all be changed. I am working on the engine right now and I have to rewire the ignition switch and some miscellaneous other stuff. The tank is probably good, I just want to make sure, a brand new engine might be in the near future and I want the entire fuel system to be perfect before I shell out the big bucks for a new four stroke. Fun fun looks like I have my work cut out.