Hole in lower end of Mercury

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IRS

Reaction score
Help! Recently purchased a 2006 Mercury 25HP 4 stroke power trim and tilt. Unfortunately, just now noticed a hole in the port side of the lower unit housing. It is just forward of the water intake vent. It's approximately 1/8" to 3/16" diameter. Perfectly round. Doesn't appear jagged. Attached is a photo. Any help appreciated.
IRS

Attachments

• Mercury Outboard Hole.jpg
    Mercury Outboard Hole.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 741
There can often be holes in strange places on outboards to allow coolant or exhaust gasses flow but I have to admit I haven't seen one in that specific spot before? I would take the serial number of the motor and look up a schematic of the lower unit and see if it looks normal.

I have the same motor. I will look when I get home.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OBs have a drain of that cavity immediatley above the oil-filled gear housing, but in that picture ... it sure looks like the area around the hole is ‘dimpled’ in a bit, almost like it was shot with a rifle!

No kidding ... we once found 22 bullets imbedded in the side of my brother’s Whaler gelcoat ... little bazztards across the lake were shooting at God knows what. Thankfully there was a Police report filed by some neighbors and they ended up paying for the ENTIRE boat to be re-done ... now looks new!

I have the same motor. A 06 mercury 25hp 4 stroke. It has the same hole as yours.
6db43399cecab3cffc53508132757631.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thank you tin men. I'll sleep better tonight knowing my Merc is "supposed" to have a hole in it. Appreciate your help.
IRS

Latest posts