How do you put new line on your reel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do they offer a 1000 yd box?

I picked up 3 spools of line at the show this weekend the small one holds 960 yards.

I just toss the spool on the ground. It works fine for me considering I have a few long cast worth to 75 yds of braid on my bass reels. I have a crappy mono backing on the rest of the spool. Most of the time I just manually strip the line off, but if I have a lot of reels to do I use a cordless drill with a dowel in it. I glue a big block on the end of the dowel so I take off more line per turn than just the circumfrence of the dowel. I also put the reel on a rod that is broken off at the first guide so I don't have to watch where the rod tip is going. This rod is now dubbed the re-spooling rod.

Mr. Fishin NJ, I'm pretty sure thats the same one I have, best investment I made, if anyone is thinking of buying it you wont be sorry.

Fishin NJ said:
Just found this one on ebay today, looks similar if not he same to what Mr. Shamoo uses. Thought someone may be looking for one after seeing his.

fc_1_b.JPG

Rack & Reel

I just bought one. Thanks Guys. This should make things easier than throwing th spool on the floor and cranking the line in.

shamoo said:
Mr. Fishin NJ, I'm pretty sure thats the same one I have, best investment I made, if anyone is thinking of buying it you wont be sorry.

Mr. Shamoo do you anchor that down on a workbench or is it heavy enough on it's own to not move around when you are reeling in the line?

I guess if you re-spool all your reels more than once a year or so (and have a lot of reels) I can see that as being a good investment. I have two ultra lights and 2 medium action rods for my basic all around fishing. I have 4 rods for salmon that are spooled with #30 Power Pro. 2 years on Power Pro and then reverse it for 2 more years of use. I replace the leader on the salmon rods yearly but thats only 30' of mono anyhow. I strip off twice the rod length on my others ones until it interferes with casting (I use spinning reels) or the line develops a bad memory.

flounderhead59 said:
I guess if you re-spool all your reels more than once a year or so (and have a lot of reels) I can see that as being a good investment. I have two ultra lights and 2 medium action rods for my basic all around fishing. I have 4 rods for salmon that are spooled with #30 Power Pro. 2 years on Power Pro and then reverse it for 2 more years of use. I replace the leader on the salmon rods yearly but thats only 30' of mono anyhow. I strip off twice the rod length on my others ones until it interferes with casting (I use spinning reels) or the line develops a bad memory.

:lol:
I'm glad I'm not the only one that uses line for more than a season! When I was a kid I'd run mono on a reel for 2 years with no problems. I'm going to flip my PP reels for the new season and I should be good.

Like I said, for my just goin' fishin' rods, I only strip off about 10-12' per year. I have some mono on one of my reels that has to be 10 years old. Some old Stren, prolly #8 or #10. But my stuff is stored in a reletively cool place and out of sun light. The last few years I haven't had a lot of opportunities to go fishing. Being a Navy RDC can do that to you.

Mr. bcritch, no need to anchor it down, heavy enough not to move when respooling, yet light enough to move where ever you want to respool

Nickk said:
flounderhead59 said:

:lol:
I'm glad I'm not the only one that uses line for more than a season! When I was a kid I'd run mono on a reel for 2 years with no problems. I'm going to flip my PP reels for the new season and I should be good.

I need to change the (don't cringe Jim!, lol) Yo-Zuri Hybrid that I've had on my reels for two seasons :wink:

Latest posts