How to value a parts motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude

Reaction score
Just thinking about taking on a calculated risk on motor. My goal would be to take a low compression motor and get it running good but want to have a back up plan if it turns out to be a can of worms. It's a 2013 mercury 60 if that makes a difference. Thanks for advice.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Any used motor is a calculated risk. Lol. I've had non runners in outboards, chainsaws,and snowmobiles. If I can't get it for less or equal to what I can get for parts, I stay away.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Price out a rebuild kit.. I've priced out a 70hp merc once and once I factored in my labour cost it wasn't feasible for the customer.. if your doing it for yourself it might be a different story.
It's a real gamble.. it might need a $10 part, or a $500 part to get running again.. then again there is value in parting out the electrical and fuel system parts if you have the time and space to store parts.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Other than the lower unit, where would most of the parts value be?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ignition system, carbs, fuel pump.. if it's EFI.. then the injectors and ECM too

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

The tilt/trim system can bring some good money too. The only things that really aren't worth a lot of money, besides damaged parts, would be the hood and side panels, mid section, and the block because they are too much of a pain to ship. But depending how common the motor is (speaking in general terms), there's always a market for pretty much everything.

Latest posts