hub differences?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankbait09

Reaction score
I posted a link similar to this a few days ago but this is more of a direct question....

can you please view this link and tell me what the difference is between each hub? I have a 5 lug hub and these have so many different types, an dI am not sure which i would need.

https://www.iboats.com/Boat-Trailer-Hub-Kits/dm/cart_id.316018489--session_id.622779439--view_id.217609

You just need to find out what bearing sizes you have and that will tell you what 5 lug hub you need. Your font and back bearing could be the same size or they could be two different sizes. You need to take your hub off and either take it in, take it apart and measure the bearings or measure the spindle both at the front and back. I would suggest taking the hub off, take the bearings out and measuring the inside diameter of each bearing. Once you determine the size go down to Northern Tools and pick up a new hub with the size of bearings you measured. Most likely you'll have a hub with 2 - 1" bearings, a hub with 2 - 1 1/16" bearings or a hub with 1 - 1 3/8" and 1 - 1 1/16" bearing. View the 5 lug hubs at this website. You can see the bearing sizes listed with the hubs and might help simplify it for you.

https://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/items.asp?Cc=HUB-A

I forgot to add to measure both sides! I bought a Craigslist trailer last year and went to replace the hubs. I only measured one side and paid the price. Apparently a previous owner replaced one spindle on the axle with the wrong size spindle so there was a hub with 2 - 1 1/16" bearings and the other hub with 1 - 1 3/8" and 1 1/16" bearings. I ordered my hubs online and had to use the RMA process which eventually led me to just replacing the axle so that I could have the proper size spindles.

You might also Google some videos on installing a hub so that you don't tightened them on too much which will lead to bearing failure.

Latest posts