Hull Paint.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moep43

Reaction score
Ok I have been searching on here and there are a lot of opinion as far as what to do. There just kind of all over the map.

I'm looking at just painting the bottom of the boat I did some patching so there are some spots that are down to bare metal.

That said I planed on
-roughing up all existing paint with a wet sandpaper.

- hitting all bare spots with some rust oleum etch.

- then I'm a little lost on what type of paint to use... I was hoping something from Home Depot but not a big deal if not.

Am I on the right track? What are your thoughts?

I used rustoleum aluminum primer and regular rustoleum paint brushed on. Came out good. I took the whole bottom down to bare metal on mine.

Just finished up the exterior of my 16'.
Was down to bare alum all the way around. Wire brushed and sanded.

Once I was ready, wiped it down, sprayed it with self etching primer. Set for 15 min.

Use HPLV gun to spray Smoke Grey Rustoleum Professional Enamel. 2 Coats.
2 Coats was about a half gallon, which included some trailer parts and my bunks.

Used a spray can for the red fin stripe, Rustoleum Enamel. Lightly sanded the fin, then two coats.

Looks good to me... will it hold? I have yet to find out.

Just finished the other day.

0603141734a.jpg

What if you want to use occasionally in salt water... special prep?... special paint?
tom

Unless you are going to leave it in the water for extended periods, you will not need special bottom paint.

Thanks everyone for the responses!
Do I need to take the whole bottom to bare aluminum?
Or can I scuff up the old paint (it's not peeling or anything) and then hit the bare spots with the etch primer?

Depends on your time I would imagine.

My preference would be to take it down to bare alum and self etch prime.

Time permitting. Cost too I guess.

But I have heard several guys say that a nice scuff and wipe down with acetone works well over existing paint.

[url=https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=355063#p355063 said:
Moep43 » Yesterday, 05:56[/url]"]Thanks everyone for the responses!
Do I need to take the whole bottom to bare aluminum?
Or can I scuff up the old paint (it's not peeling or anything) and then hit the bare spots with the etch primer?

rust-oleum actually makes a marine paint for boats, called Topside
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/marine-coatings/topside-paint
for boats it is superior to their other paints, but you can't get it at home depot (i ordered online). i think the main difference is that they put a lot better UV protection in the Topside (so it won't fade like the other paints would).

i thinned with xylene and sprayed it with a HVLP gun. like all non-bottom paints, it says that it is for above the waterline only, but a few sections on my boat that are painted with it are below the waterline and it's been fine. have been very happy.

Latest posts