Hurricane Prep: Securing my boat & trailer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriBull

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I think of myself as a resourceful hack… So I’m on the Florida Gulf Coast, in the cross hairs of hurricane Idalia! I have a 1974 12’ StarCraft w/ 9.9 Yamaha. To secure my rig, I use one of those corkscrew dog tethers to tie down the tongue of my trailer in the yard. I also leave my outboard on the boat in order to have the added benefit of weight on the back. It’s crude, but it worked great during our last hurricane, even before I had the outboard. But given the higher expected wind speeds, I’m happy to have the outboard mounted for this storm. Any additional suggestions or ideas is greatly appreciated…. I’ll be sure to give an after-storm update, once I’m out of the shelter! :)

Attachments

• IMG_6485.jpeg
    IMG_6485.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6483.jpeg
    IMG_6483.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6477.jpeg
    IMG_6477.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 0
So...you're telling me you secured your boat and motor with a tether that a fox terrier can pull out to hold your craft down in hurricane winds?

Uh, do you work for FEMA?

Take care.

So...you're telling me you secured your boat and motor with a tether that a fox terrier can pull out to hold your craft down in hurricane winds?

Take care.
The cork screw is about 18”. I tested it first… Give it a try, and you might think different. Suggestions?

Btw, I hope you never have to work side by side with a FEMA worker during or after event, but if you do, you might think different about that too.

I think of myself as a resourceful hack… So I’m on the Florida Gulf Coast, in the cross hairs of hurricane Idalia! I have a 1974 12’ StarCraft w/ 9.9 Yamaha. To secure my rig, I use one of those corkscrew dog tethers to tie down the tongue of my trailer in the yard. I also leave my outboard on the boat in order to have the added benefit of weight on the back. It’s crude, but it worked great during our last hurricane, even before I had the outboard. But given the higher expected wind speeds, I’m happy to have the outboard mounted for this storm. Any additional suggestions or ideas is greatly appreciated…. I’ll be sure to give an after-storm update, once I’m out of the shelter! :)
I live in Florida also. I have eye bolts set in concrete that I strap the boat down onto to with tie down straps. Been working so far anyway! Good luck up there my friend it's that time of year again!! I pray Psalm 91 (Bible) over you and your family! God Bless..............

Take care.
Well life ain't perfect. His plan is better than nothing.............

I also would not trust those dog ties. Hit up a local house trailer supply and get real hurricane anchors. They are like the dog ones, but 6' long. Kept our trailer on the ground through Hurricane Alicia, but boy did she rock and roll! I would also take the motor in to keep it safe. Something could land on it or blow into it. Buy 3 hurricane straps, secure bow and back corners and don't worry about it.

Welcome to hurricane season! It's shaping up to be a busy month for you guys. Stay safe folks, I have an office in Lakeland that looks like it is being spared the worst of it, but those North of there seem to be in for it.

What kind of flood waters can you expect? If higher then the gunnels, you might want to pound in several 8'lenghts of rebar into the ground inside the trailer beams, the boat will float the trailer but only up and down as the rebar will hold her in place.

When ever I bought or built a house, I always look at elevation of the home and surrounding areas. Would never even consider anything on low land. My current home is seven feet about surrounding area. Went thru one flood in my youth, never again!!

Follow-up: All went well… Idalia went further north enough to limit damage in our area to mostly storm surge vs wind damage. My rig didn’t budge, and I’m confident that would have been the case with even 100+ mph winds. I truly believe that the dog tether is sufficient if turned in deep with a pipe lever, which I did - and then strapped down strongly with no slack! I was surprised, however, with the number of boat/trailer rigs I saw while driving around today, that weren’t secured in any manner. Several just seemed to pull them up close to a walI, at best! can maybe understand a big heavy fiberglass boat, but I saw many small rigs, including tin boats, that were just free standing! As some one mentioned - doing something is better than nothing!