A quick survey who trailers their boat with the motor in gear?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In all my years of boating ... maybe 55 or more in a boat running it myself ... I have NEVER seen this topic raised or discussed anywhere!

I've also never read it in print, in any of my manuals, but mostly have had OMC motors. Also NEVER had any issues. With Merc, maybe it's just 'lawyer speak' ...

I do want to recognize #BigCity and give him a big thanks for coming back on here and expanding upon his input, thanks!
Hey, no problem. Always fun and helpful on tinboats.

But, after looooong consideration I have a new plan. I'm going to install a receiver hitch on the FRONT of my truck like they do at some marinas. Then I'm going to push my boat to the lake next time and see if unobstructed air flow makes a difference in prop speed!

I recall being surprised to hear when an airplane loses an engine, a windmilling prop will produce more drag than one that isn't spinning (fixed prop that cannot be feathered). Don't know if it is true. Also don't know why I'm sharing this other than the discussion triggered my memory.
That is true however the wind fighting the blades is the issue as airplanes are at a much greater speed..

Hey, no problem. Always fun and helpful on tinboats.

But, after looooong consideration I have a new plan. I'm going to install a receiver hitch on the FRONT of my truck like they do at some marinas. Then I'm going to push my boat to the lake next time and see if unobstructed air flow makes a difference in prop speed!
Connect a generator and charge your battery while your at. I am waiting on that for EV's, cars will have windmills mounted on the roofs to help charge the battery!!

Connect a generator and charge your battery while your at. I am waiting on that for EV's, cars will have windmills mounted on the roofs to help charge the battery!!

And cover the roof & hood with solar panels. EVs, at least the Tesla, use braking energy to generate electricity. So I wondered why they don't put stators in the wheels of EVs. A little research says doing that would use more of the EV's battery power than it would be worth. Guess it makes sense because that would really be a perpetual motion machine. Which I intend to invent right after I perfect time travel. ;)

Putting a Merc in gear locks the tilt mechanism in many models.

...Or was it that putting in gear unlocks the tilt mechanism? Must be getting old, can't remember.

Either way, I doubt it has anything to do with wearing out the gearcase. That seems like a very remote possibility

Last edited:
Putting a Merc in gear locks the tilt mechanism in many models.

...Or was it that putting in gear unlocks the tilt mechanism? Must be getting old, can't remember.

Either way, I doubt it has anything to do with wearing out the gearcase. That seems like a very remote possibility
On my 06 9.9merc putting it in fwd releases the title mechanism.

On my 06 9.9merc putting it in fwd releases the title mechanism.

On mine (I think 2000) in forward and neutral it is unlocked. It locks when shifted into reverse. Pretty sure this is to prevent the motor from kicking up when you apply throttle while in reverse.

Yes, that's what I remember. Some are different. OMC has a release, separate from the throttle, which greatly prefer.

Quite rare that I ever see a prop spinning and as a boater it is something I look for. When I see a boat being towed, I like to get close enough to see "what they have"...on rare ocassions where a prop is turning, it is very slow !! Actually can't recall seeing one spinning at more than a very slow pace if at all.

I'm in the "in gear while towing" camp. An old guy at a marina told me, it could wear things, long ago and I never questioned it. I can't see a downside to towing it in gear. In fact if I am following someone who has a spinning prop, I'm fixated on it rather than watching the road....so maybe I'll save a life by not distracting drivers! 😂

Quite rare that I ever see a prop spinning and as a boater it is something I look for. When I see a boat being towed, I like to get close enough to see "what they have"...on rare ocassions where a prop is turning, it is very slow !! Actually can't recall seeing one spinning at more than a very slow pace if at all.

You know, now that you mention it, I can't recall seeing a prop spinning while going down the road. Can't say I've looked for it, but I will now.

What happens when someone gets to close or you back into something with your motor in gear? If not in gear the prop can spin and save lower gear damage, at least it saves my knee when I bang it walking behind and the prop can move !!