I NEED HELP. PLEASE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi im new on here and just started my account. i have a 14ft riveted aluminum flat bottom boat and i am repainting it now and eventually will be wiring it up. all im wiring is bilge pump, nav. lights, anchor lights, driving lights, and some lED acc. lights floor lighting. everything will be on a switch and my battery is mounted up front. i need to know 1. what kinda guage of wire i will need from my battery to the homemade switch panel. and am thinking about running two cig. lighter outlets one in front and one in back but i am kinda sketchy on that right now. 2. the best way to hide all wires. 3. where to run them. im looking for the easiest and good looking way.

thanks guys hope someone can help me out.

Welcome! That actually is a fair bit of wiring to do, are you running it all from one switch? Do you have fuses/breakers? Do you have space under the ribs where they meet the sides to run conduit? We really like pictures, and I think they would help understand your layout :)

I would put a fuse by your battery from your supply wire.I would run a 12ga wire if that is all your running.Make sure everything is fused.

I have just bought a waterproof circuit breaker n fuse panel. Im running everything off separate switches. I now am wondering how to conceal all wires n if I should just run all my grounds back to battery

So guys this is what I'm doing I'll post pics later. I bought a plastic junction box, fuse panel, circuit breaker. I'm running my hot through bottom of the box to fuse panel, from fuse panel I'm running wires to my switches, n from switches to everything that needs power. Battery is mounted in front so I'm running all my grounds to the neg side of battery. Oh n waterproof curcuit breaker is right beside the battery box.

You can save a lot of wiring by using a negative bus bar in the back of the boat .... that way you only have to run one ground wire all the way up front to the battery.

MrSimon said:
You can save a lot of wiring by using a negative bus bar in the back of the boat .... that way you only have to run one ground wire all the way up front to the battery.

X2

Figure out how much current you'll be pulling and use a wire 1 wire size bigger for both Pos and Neg wires. Then use a buss bar for both wires.

Al

catfish_maniac90 said:
Dumb question but how do I fig out how much everything is pulling??
Only dumb question is the one you don't ask...

Your bilge probably says on it what the amp draw is...usually 5-ish.
For lights...nav, anchor, driving, etc ...if you have the watts, then Watt/Volts = Amps
Cig outlets..I have no idea, but I'm going to guess 12 - 15 amps.

Once you figure out amps, and have the length of wire run (both directions) there's charts all over the www for calculating wire gauge, then go one size up. Here's a guide from Blue Sea Systems

Hey guys im back ive just painted my boat and now ready to instal everything can anyone tell me what size battery would be a good battery for my boat. Once again I'm running nav light combo. Anchor light. Driving light. And fish finder. N maybe a radio n led acc lights.

Is this all you're running? No trolling motor? How long are you planning spending on each trip? I probably would go with a 27 series deep cycle battery, remember to charge it after every use.
Rodney

Yes Thats it im a catfish freak n dont see point in trolling motor on my boat. Gas motor fails I got two big arms lol. N Thank you.

Latest posts