I painted over Steelflex...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowRollin'

Reaction score
Well, I needed to get on with this project and wasn't happy with the current paint job so I thought I'd try a section on the transom and see what happens...not much.

I painted a 1' by 6" section with Tractor Enamel paint just above (below) the drain hole; waited a couple of hours, then tried to wipe it off. It wiped off fairly easy. A light coat of Mineral Spirits to get any remnants of the paint and is was completely clean.

I have a couple of stains on the bottom of the boat where the steelflex was applied and wondered if I could get paint to hold. Now I know. [-X

It was fun to find out.

Attachments

• Monark-transom.jpg
    Monark-transom.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,557
Original and it's been sitting up for almost a year since I applied the steelflex. I roughed it up with a green pad and then just sprayed it. I'm certain the results would have been different had I tried to pain it within a day or two of laying down the coating.

I just wanted to know for sure if it would take or not...not this time.

How as the paint held up over the steel flex?

I painted my boat with the steel flex but I'm not really happy with the finish product. I would prefer not to have to sand all of it off the sides if I don't have to. I was thinking of doing a light sand and then using a self etching primer for a base coat to paint over it. Im just a little worried that the paint won't stick very well.

I just applied some spray paint over mine as a test. It is the new Teflon kind. So far it seems to have stuck. Time will tell.

Latest posts