ID This Fish

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigngrub

Reaction score
DSC02269.jpg

Definately a Hybrid. (A cross between a white bass and a striper). Overboard is right on about the broken lateral line being the identifier.

Great fun to catch. Even the Juniors will pull like a mule - and if you can get them surface feeding there nothing more fun than catching Hybrids on a top water lure.

We caught tons in Lake Hartwell in SC. Makes me want to go fishing!

Great White Shark?

Nah, that is a wiper - or maybe a white bass (awful small for a wiper as they are sterile so you never see any baby hybrids)

Captain Ahab said:
Great White Shark?

the adults do not breed but the pure strain striper will spawn with the white bass so that is why it is so small

Nah, that is a wiper - or maybe a white bass (awful small for a wiper as they are sterile so you never see any baby hybrids)

Nope... not a Striped Bass, Wiper, or White Bass.

The key to identifying these little bait stealers is the broken lateral lines above the anal vent.

https://www.outdooralabama.com/fishing/freshwater/fish/bassstriped/yellow/

The fish in the pic above isn't even a baby, it is mature and capable of spawning... it is a young adult.

overboard said:
UMMM! could be, but I don't see the distinctive yellowish gold body, as described in the article.

You can see some of the yellow/gold behind the pectoral fin in the breast area, the fish get lighter in color as the water cools off and get muddier. You could probably see more of the yellow if I'd had a polarized lens filter on my camera, but the fish wasn't that yellow when I pulled it out of the water.

There aren't any Hybrid/Wipers in this lake, just stocked Stripers, White Bass, and Yellow Bass... I've been fishin' this lake 30 yrs. and have caught dozens of these Yellows, Whites, and Stripes... but no Hybrid/Wipers.

The lake below this one has Hybrid/Wipers and I've caught them there. They look quite a bit different than the Yellows and there's really no mistaking the 2.

DSC02040.jpg

The Wipers have a rounder shape and the lateral lines are much more broken... plus they have a patch of teeth on their tongue that the Yellows don't.

Fish taxonomy is a hobby of mine.

case solved: must be a yellow bass. we don't have them up here, never heard of them. but leave it up to PA. : we will somehow end up with them- by accident. #-o

overboard said:
case solved: must be a yellow bass. we don't have them up here, never heard of them. but leave it up to PA. : we will somehow end up with them- by accident. #-o

Are you in Pennsylvania? Please complete your profile when you have a moment

I'll be darned, it IS a Yellow Bass!

Goes to show that even when I'm 100% certain I'm correct, I can be dead wrong.

Thanks for clearing it up.

definitely for sure 100% a yellow bass. they dont get very big at all( a 10 incher is a monster). around here they will take a lake over in no time at all and ruin the fishery. tasty lil guys though. if they are in the lake you fish you will see what i mean. at night when its calm i can idle down the lake and they jump in the boat like asian carp!!! their a pain in the you know what, but put up a good fight for how small they are....

Yeah, it's definitely a yellow bass. The giveaway is the fact that the lines don't match up. A yellow bass looks like it's been cut through and glued back together about 2/3 of the way back and whoever did it didn't take time to match up the lines. And by the way, those things are pretty good eating.

Latest posts