In line fuse for Minnesota kota

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcbond4

Reaction score
Hey I've read reviews that with any Minnesota Kota you have to put your own in line fuse in. I bought a used one and wondered how big I have to go with the amps for the fuse. Also wondered if there was any certain fuse box I should look for. Could I use one designed for car stereos with the monster fuses? Or do I need to get a marine in line fuse adapter?

Here are a couple of them....shop around...I'd check my local auto supply store first.

https://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-MKR-19-Circuit-Breaker-Waterproof/dp/B001PTHKSK

https://www.towshop.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=404

regards, Rich

Auto correct....means ... automatically screwed up, often....... I type bad enough on my own without some computer AUTOMATICALLY trying to "fix" it.

I never turned it on. Rich

I had done some previous searches on trolling motor fuses and found a few posts where people recommended the Bussman Short Stop Auto reset 50 amp fuses. They're only about $5 - $8 each depending on what type of reset you want. Here's a link to an example: https://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/p188_dc_circuit_breaker.html

Wire it in right next to the battery box and save some coin for bait money!

I just picked one of those bussman short stop fuses up. Does anyone know if it needs to be hidden from the elements? I don't have any compartments on my boat, it's all open. I just wondered if I need to cover it somehow?

I've used small, snap lid, Tupperware type containers in the past.

Poke a couple of holes in either side,....slip your unit inside... seal the protruding wires with 3m5200 or any good marine grade caulk..... and ....SNAP....You should be fine unless you drop it into the water.

Rich

richg99 said:
I've used small, snap lid, Tupperware type containers in the past.

Poke a couple of holes in either side,....slip your unit inside... seal the protruding wires with 3m5200 or any good marine grade caulk..... and ....SNAP....You should be fine unless you drop it into the water.

Rich
Great minds think alike! I was planning something of that sort. I had reservations about completely sealing it up though: #1. Would that cause it to overheat? #2 If moisture did get in, would that create more corrosion?

Don't worry so much about it. If moisture gets in then it wasn't sealed very well.

Mine (on the Carolina Skiff) is mounted on top of the battery, directly to the battery post. The battery cover is over that and the battery cover is vented (as it must be).

Been there 7 or 8 years with no issues yet. That boat sits, in the water, out in the wind and rain, for four months every summer.

If you still have reservations, pop it open and then re-close it every now and then. You are just trying to keep splashed water off of it. Rich

I have never used an auto reset fuse. Is the beauty that you never have to push a reset button or replace the fuse?

Good idea about the box. Will have to see if the wife has one she will say I can have :D

Auto reset happens to be the only kind I could find when I needed one recently.

In 60 + years of boating and fishing, I have NEVER blown one yet. Maybe I am just lucky, or I am more careful when my trolling motor gets hung up.

Other than a cut and shorted wire........probably the only thing that might cause it to blow would be that the prop got hung up and you kept the motor running too long. Motor stalls, amperage goes up; and POP goes the breaker. Never happened to me yet, though.

regards, rich

richg99 said:
Don't worry so much about it. If moisture gets in then it wasn't sealed very well.

Mine (on the Carolina Skiff) is mounted on top of the battery, directly to the battery post. The battery cover is over that and the battery cover is vented (as it must be).

Been there 7 or 8 years with no issues yet. That boat sits, in the water, out in the wind and rain, for four months every summer.

If you still have reservations, pop it open and then re-close it every now and then. You are just trying to keep splashed water off of it. Rich
I will just make sure I caulk it real good.

I would stay away from an automatic reset circuit breaker. You want to check for problems and reset the breaker when you are certain every thing is okay. In some states a manually resetable circuit breaker is required by law. Fuses have their own set of problems. Go with the manually resetable breaker. Check a boat shop if you don't want to order online.

Blowing a breaker can be as simple as running into a strong head wind or as complicated as keeping your motor from burning up.

Latest posts