Inboard trolling motors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuptii

Reaction score
This question may have been asked b/4 ... BUT ... Has anyone ever mounted e-motors inside the transom of a small outboard driven boat ?!? ... You see smaller 'plastics' with motors in recessed areas of the hull ... SO ... with a little cutting, welding, and creative wiring, could this be a go ... what's your opinion(s) on this idea ?I've had transom mounted 'Lenco' motors on a 18' semi-jon ... BUT ... they were external, cylinder raised/lowered, and heavy ... Comments, 'PLEASE' ...........

Interesting question. Seems the downside would be it would take more space and be harder to deploy. What would be the benefit of doing that over hanging the TM on the transom?

Look at small boats being used around the ocean...not sure what they are called but often you will find the outboard motor mounted inside a couple foot inside the transom. Never been in one nor do I know why, but have saw a number of them in use.

Look at small boats being used around the ocean...not sure what they are called but often you will find the outboard motor mounted inside a couple foot inside the transom. Never been in one nor do I know why, but have saw a number of them in use.

I see those dory style boats with an interior motor well. I think mostly old timey fishing boats to keep the motor out of the way when netting a catch. Did a little reading out of curiosity. Seems it kind of started with double ender fishing boats. Guys realized they could cut in a motor well and use a small HP motor instead of rowing.

With this kind of set up on a recreational boat, I can see a lot of issues with launching/retrieving or beaching.

Thanks for your answers !!! ... In a smaller boat, between the transom and the rear bench/pedestal, you have 'dead' space, or for a better description open space ... SO ... install cylindrical mounting tubes to hold the motors and have them always in the water, out of harms way, and ready for positioning commands ... 'NO' more deploying, climbing/tripping over a unit, yada, yada, yada ...... I'm not sure as to diameter or thrust strength the small units would require ... BUT ... I'll do some more 'surfing' on the 'web' and see what I may discover ... UNLESS ... one, or more of you can come up with some additional ideas/opinions ............ Thanks again !!!!!!!

Thanks for your answers !!! ... In a smaller boat, between the transom and the rear bench/pedestal, you have 'dead' space, or for a better description open space ... SO ... install cylindrical mounting tubes to hold the motors and have them always in the water, out of harms way, and ready for positioning commands ... 'NO' more deploying, climbing/tripping over a unit, yada, yada, yada ...... I'm not sure as to diameter or thrust strength the small units would require ... BUT ... I'll do some more 'surfing' on the 'web' and see what I may discover ... UNLESS ... one, or more of you can come up with some additional ideas/opinions ............ Thanks again !!!!!!!

I probably wouldn’t do it but, don’t let me talk you out of it if that what you want to do. Just post some pics.

You should consider that the motor in most trolling motors is water cooled to some extent.

I know about cooling ... with the location, it would have contact with water/hull ......... I found something 'close' to my idea ... BUT ... NO CUTTING INVOLVED ............................. Pacmotor.com

Actually, I've considered getting a used peddle boat and removing the pedals and water wheel and mounting a trolling motor in it's place. They already have a rudder so it should work
Few years back I atended an NJ Fish and Wildlife expo where the kyack people had one with a rudder and the TM head mounted in a well between the paddler's knees. One model even had twin float chambers as a stern that could fin outward for fishing stability. There has to be one out there

It is very creative, but I have to ask, what would the advantage be compared to mounting the TM on the transom? I don't mean to be negative. I probably just don't understand the reason.
15 HP motor on the transom ... Wanna have peddle/ joystick control when I'm in the front half of boat ..........