Is this enough surface to install motorguide?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beercap

Reaction score
Guys I'm wanting to not have to bolt down marine plywood like I did with my old edge bow mount. Take a look at the pic would 5 bolts into this steel plate be enough to hold on this motorguide freshwater pro?

Sorry the pic is upside down :( my phone sucks... You get the idea tho

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,030
It looks go to me. Is it sturdy or has it got a lot of flex? If it has a lot of flex then you could support it a little better with a piece of flat strap aluminum, maybe 3"X1/4" across the back of the mount.

I have six bolts to hold the steel plate and rubber washers to even out the surface of the install and guard against vibrations from chop.

I do have a template from my last trolling motor mount. Should I put marine grade plywood over the bow with an extension to hold the back of the motor mount and bolt it through the plywood and steel so I have all major points covered? This way it's supported all the way to the back of the motor.

With the steel plate that's already there I can get the front four holes and that's what I'd like to do but I don't want it to put wear on the motor or boat either.

Definitely need to extend the mounting surface in some way. An aluminum plate would be ideal. When the motor is stowed it will be a big lever applying a lot of force to the small mounting surface.