Jay415's Alumacraft MV1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would be glad to have you stop by. im trying to work on it a little at a time. i was just checking out your 2 doors and seat mount just the other day. what thickness did you use for your deck? here is what im working on. red is 2x2 , yellow is 2x4. black is seat location. boat beck 008pnt.jpg

bguy said:
i would be glad to have you stop by. im trying to work on it a little at a time. i was just checking out your 2 doors and seat mount just the other day. what thickness did you use for your deck? here is what im working on. red is 2x2 , yellow is 2x4. black is seat location.
I used 5/8" for the upper deck where I have the seat and the hatch lids. It's plenty strong enough. I also made sure the the supports ran under the seat plate on both sides so I can lag bolt right through. I'll be done with my final coat of waterproofing by tomorrow and hopefully carpeting soon. On the lower decks that sit directly on the boat ribs I'm using 1/2".

I started some assembly today. I am mounting an onboard charger on the inside of the vertical wall of my front deck. I really don't want to see the bolts on the outside over the carpet. So I installed T-nut on the inside wall and threaded bolt from the outside in with fender washers and high strength thread lock. Then I will carpet right over the bolt heads so they are not exposed. On the inside I will mount the battery charger by just adding washers and nylon lock nuts on the bolt ends.
I could have just used the T-nut on the outside and carpeted over the T-nuts, but I didn't for 2 reasons. 1: There is a good chance they will strip themselves out of the wood over time. 2: I didn't want to leave any chance of them pulling through. I wanted fender washer to spread out the load on the bolt. This way the T-nut aren't really taking any load. They are just holding the bolts in place until the nuts secure the charger.

Outside
IMG_1078.jpg

Inside
IMG_1082.jpg

fit test of charger
IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

I started carpeting and after many tests, I decided to used 2 different kinds of adhesives. Here are my adhesive tests. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22430

I am going to use both Henry's 263 Waterproof Outdoor Carpet Adhesive and Dap Contact Cement. The reason I am using 2 different adhesives is because Henry's 263 is easy to trowel on and is forgiving with it's set time. I am using that for the large flat areas. Then after that sets up, I will use contact cement to wrap the edges. Contact cement is better for this because of the instant grab.

So far the only piece I carpeted is the spacer the goes on the bow for my TM. This was made out of 2 pieces of 1/2" plywood, waterproofed then glued together with contact cement and glued the carpet on with contact cement. Contact cement was perfect for this because I was able to cut the carpet flush to the bottom with no wrap. This way when I mount it there won't be an spaces underneath.
IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

Here I go on the rest! Cutting carpet.............
IMG_1085.jpg

This piece isn't waterproofed yet I need to trim it a little. It fits prefect, but I have to trim it to allow the carpet to wrap.
IMG_1086.jpg

JonBoatfever said:
That looks great! How well does that 9.9 push that boat? Does it Plane out?
Thanks! The 9.9 is plenty for now. It really doesn't lift the bow much at all, so I don't think you can really consider it planing. From my trial run I couldn't tell how much (if any) it lifted the boat out of the water on plane, but I don't think so. I had me, my 4 y/o, a full 6 gallon tank, an emergency TM and battery and I got 19.7mph on the gps. I'll report again after mods.

Here's the only time I had it out with this motor so far. It was for a test run with my son. It was a test run for him too! his first time! :mrgreen:
[youtube]kp4Am0TnVZw[/youtube]

I starting installing all my waterproofed supports for the Bow deck. I used SS screws and just for a little extra I put some 3M 4200 on the bottom of the boards that go over the aluminum deck. Especially on the TM mount! Then I dry fit the deck top before I carpet it just to make sure everything fits as expected. I decided to do the deck top and the vertical in 2 pieces for ease of installation and carpeting. I'm letting the top deck overhang about 1/2"-3/4" past the vertical upright the same way the existing benches overhang.

IMG_1102.jpg

Dry Fit
IMG_1103.jpg

TM Mount
IMG_1107.jpg

Jay415 said:
JonBoatfever said:
That looks great! How well does that 9.9 push that boat? Does it Plane out?
Thanks! The 9.9 is plenty for now. It really doesn't lift the bow much at all, so I don't think you can really consider it planing. From my trial run I couldn't tell how much (if any) it lifted the boat out of the water on plane, but I don't think so. I had me, my 4 y/o, a full 6 gallon tank, an emergency TM and battery and I got 19.7mph on the gps. I'll report again after mods...

Looks like you're going fast enough to plane out. Move the trim pin out 1 hole from the transom and see what happens.

jasper60103 said:
Looks like you're going fast enough to plane out. Move the trim pin out 1 hole from the transom and see what happens.

I moved the trim pin through all 5 holes and I couldn't figure out which was best. How do I figure it out?

What a great vid to have little man's first run in the boat!

I wish I had done the same!

Brine said:
What a great vid to have little man's first run in the boat!

I wish I had done the same!
Thanks! I'm glad I got it also, he had such a great time. He can't wait to go fishing on it in the spring.

Bow deck just about finished just a couple of things to mount and wires to run then I'll finish the floors.
IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

Here you can see where I mounted the onboard charger.
IMG_2383.jpg

Here you can see how I did the deck in 2 pieces and let it overhang a little. Also you can see the bumps in the carpet from the onboard charger bolts that I carpeted over.
IMG_2385.jpg

Bow TM in deployed
IMG_2399.jpg

Bow TM stowed
IMG_2400.jpg

possible location for the Humminbird
IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

Jay415 said:
It's scary drilling holes in your brand new boat, but this bilge pump port looks great!

Only the first one, then it gets easier. :LOL2: The boat's looking great. Which bilge did you install?

Thanks! I didn't yet but I have Rule 360gph laying around that works fine. So I'm just gonna use that for now. I'm just gonna glue it down with 4200 sealant. Easy to change out in the future. I have to get the heat gun out to soften the hose. I was getting kinks when I tried to route it. The garage is getting a little cold.

I'm having a problem putting in a larger bilge pump because of the size of the gas tank. The 360 barely fits.