jon mod question. This may be silly

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! As you can tell Im a noob at this boat stuff. Ill take any info right now.

By the way if anyone wanted to know, I have about 6 hours in this now.

Its aluminum. You just make it do what you want it to do. Just like any metal it will twist. Whats nice about aluminum is if it does you can just push it back. Its so thin you can almost do it by hand.

gonna be neat to see a 52" 12 footer
You can use your trolling motor in the stern(pushing)but pretty sure you will like it better in the bow(pulling)...alot more control of the boat.I only have a 50lbs on a 16' boat;works fine.
Looking forward in seeing your progress

I'll second Waterwings question. TIG or MIG? Interested in seeing this for a number of reasons. Keep a good record, and lots of pictures.

I actually have plans of building a jon from scratch up my sleeve. Then, after I succeed at that, I have bigger plans that I cannot wait to unveil.....
Not sure when I will have the time or funds to come through with either, but the ideas are cooking. Course, mine will be riveted - least the first one, as I don't have access or experience with a TIG setup, and we haven't played with our MIG setup much with aluminum, so I am not sure how capable it would. According to the specs, it would do it without a bit of trouble, but I would need plenty of experience with aluminum welding, and that probably won't happen anytime soon.

Ummm...I'm gonna have to go ahead and say you're nuts! PLease...pics.pics.pics. One thing is for sure, it will be one of a kind. =D>

One tip Ill give is if you are going to weld on holes that used to have rivets in it, leave in the old left over rivet in and weld over it. Much easier to weld. If you weld on a hole that is 1/4" it wont be long before it gets hot and the hole turns into 1/2" if your not carefull. If you could drill holes in some scrap alum. and practice it wouldnt be long before you get it.

zoeconner said:
One tip Ill give is if you are going to weld on holes that used to have rivets in it, leave in the old left over rivet in and weld over it. Much easier to weld. If you weld on a hole that is 1/4" it wont be long before it gets hot and the hole turns into 1/2" if your not carefull. If you could drill holes in some scrap alum. and practice it wouldnt be long before you get it. Anyone here ever see alum. foil welded together. If I get a lot of request maybe Ill put up some pics or even a small video. Now Im just bragging lol.

Sorry to jump in on your post, but you guys seem to know how to weld or fix holes. The meatball I bought my latest project from used deck screws drilled in through the side of the boat from the outside =D> . Now we have a series of little holes like Bonie and Clide did a drive-vy :twisted: They are way above the water line so it's purely cosmetic...any suggestions on filling them and making them blend?

Some people are using a product called alumaweld. Personally I use JB Kwick, epoxy over them and sand till smooth.

If you cant get them welded I recomend going to Auto zone or even wal mart. There are so many epoxies out there now that are realy good. Remember the best invention in the world " JB Weld". The down fall to that is it takes about 24 hours to set up. Theres a company called Permatex that makes the same thing but only takes about 15 min to dry. No kidding! In 15 min you could fix the hole and be on the water. Great stuff. Sorry I dont know the name.

Sorry I lied. Its not 15 min its 4 min. take a look. Nice to have in the boat.

https://www.neverseezproducts.com/permepoxies.htm

we want too see the cut in half boat i for one am exited too see a 1252 could be the newest craze on the water

Here you guys go. Makes you wonder why I did this dont it.

Attachments

• 215.JPG
    215.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 2,404
  • 217.JPG
    217.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 2,413
it looks so abused,lol
nice job on the front and back sectons...real professional

Thanks. I set the pieces together and man it looks wide. Do you think Im going to over do it. I waanted to shoot for 52" but now Im thinking about 48". Im planing to start to put it together tomorrow. If you have any opinions about the width please let me know. Being that its only 12' long it doesnt look right. But maybe thats because I never seen one before. I think it will look better with a deck on it.

The first 1252.. That is nuts! Fricken cool but nuts. Glad your here and showing us :beer:

I have no pro's or con's other than the fact that you can always cut it down to size again if it does not work right?

He finished it....

dock.jpg

:lol: