July-2009 Aluminum Sheet Pricing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brine

Reaction score
Curious if anyone is shopping for it right now. Specifically, I am looking for .125 T6 6061.

Just got a quote for a 4 x 12 for $398.40

$8.30/sq.ft

I need to be shopping for it before the economy starts to turn around, but the money just isn't here yet. Even a slight increase is going to cut deep when I have to buy around 1500 pounds of 5086 sheet and plate, and 6061 extrusions.

Where was that quote from? How many other quotes have you gotten?

Jim said:
Is that a good price?

Not sure. It's about .30 less/ sq.ft. than the quote I got in Jan

bassboy1 said:
I need to be shopping for it before the economy starts to turn around, but the money just isn't here yet. Even a slight increase is going to cut deep when I have to buy around 1500 pounds of 5086 sheet and plate, and 6061 extrusions.

Where was that quote from? How many other quotes have you gotten?

That was Metal Supermarkets. No, I haven't looked anywhere else. They are a 10 minute drive from me.

Check these guys out. They aren't the cheapest, but they are usually reasonable if you are getting 100lbs or more. Your sheet will only be around 85lbs but you could step up to a 14' sheet to get there... What are you using te 6061 for? That is kind of an odd alloy for sheeting?

https://walden.saf.com/safcustomerweb/orderorigin/orderorigin.aspx

sparkbr said:
Check these guys out. They aren't the cheapest, but they are usually reasonable if you are getting 100lbs or more. Your sheet will only be around 85lbs but you could step up to a 14' sheet to get there... What are you using te 6061 for? That is kind of an odd alloy for sheeting?

https://walden.saf.com/safcustomerweb/orderorigin/orderorigin.aspx

I told them what I was doing with it and that I didn't want it to flex. 6061 is what they suggested.

I just saw this on craigslist. I think this would work.... :shock:
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/mat/1233812178.html

HOLY ALUMINUM BRINEMAN!

3/4" thick?? I'm still debating of how I'm going to do mine. I want to use wood because of how fast I can get it done... but I know the aluminum would work best.

I didn't seal the sheet of wood in the floor of my boat, and for that 1 week where I left it uncovered, it rained for a few days and then the sun bead down on it... now it's starting to warp.

russ010 said:
HOLY ALUMINUM BRINEMAN!

3/4" thick?? I'm still debating of how I'm going to do mine. I want to use wood because of how fast I can get it done... but I know the aluminum would work best.

I didn't seal the sheet of wood in the floor of my boat, and for that 1 week where I left it uncovered, it rained for a few days and then the sun bead down on it... now it's starting to warp.

I don't want to imagine what that stuff must weigh.... :shock:

I hear ya about the wood, and I know I'll end up in the same boat (no pun intended) as you if I use wood. I'm just trying to get the floor done :evil: . I've got the angle, but I want to lay down a sheet at the floor and frame on top of it. I might use wood for the casting decks, but they will be easy to replace. In the meantime, I can't start framing until I bite the bullet on the sheet.

No worries though, I still have to carpet the bunks, fab up some bracket/spacers for them, put on a new roller for the bow and fab some brackets for it, get tires, lights, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. #-o

A couple months ago, I purchased 1/8" aluminum plate from a salvage yard for $.50/pound. Less than 100 lbs. was needed to do front and back decks, a floor and sides of a 1542.

Kurt Loup said:
A couple months ago, I purchased 1/8" aluminum plate from a salvage yard for $.50/pound. Less than 100 lbs. was needed to do front and back decks, a floor and sides of a 1542.

That's the way to do it. I realize the good stuff will cost more, but I just could never swallow that pill unless I was literally keeping that boat for 20 years.

sparkbr said:
What are you using te 6061 for? That is kind of an odd alloy for sheeting?

Doesn't sound like it's odd from this description. Are you a fabricator?

6061-T6 (QQ-A-250/11d)
Alloyed with magnesium & silicon. Heat treatable to improve strength. A widely used structural alloy for light to medium strength applications. Requires much larger inside bend radii than 5052-H32, but can be formed. Combines good weldability, corrosion resistance, and strength after heat treatment.

Brine said:
sparkbr said:
What are you using te 6061 for? That is kind of an odd alloy for sheeting?

Doesn't sound like it's odd from this description. Are you a fabricator?

6061-T6 (QQ-A-250/11d)
Alloyed with magnesium & silicon. Heat treatable to improve strength. A widely used structural alloy for light to medium strength applications. Requires much larger inside bend radii than 5052-H32, but can be formed. Combines good weldability, corrosion resistance, and strength after heat treatment.

Yeah, I run a side business doing aluminum fabrication. 6061 is typically found in extrusions more so than sheet. While price doesn't usually vary much by alloy, 5052 and 5056 are more commonly used in marine applications because of their corrossion resistence. The 5052/56 is a little more malluiable as well and not as prone to cracking due to repedatly flexing - which is bound to happen in a boat.

The main reason I asked about the 6061 is that you will probably have an easier time finding the 5052 as it is more commonly used as sheeting.

I've also used quite a bit of 3003 sheeting for things like floors, side sheeting, flotation pods, and tunnels with very good results.

Here is my website if you want to check out some of the projects.
www.SparksCustomBoats.com

Thanks for the info!

To clarify....

Do you feel that 6061 is not the "right" alloy for the application?

I'm not having a problem finding it, I'm having a problem paying for it... :lol: but it sounds like it will be priced the same as the 5000's.

2007NNBS said:
CHECK YOUR LOCAL RECYCLE CENTER...I FOUND TONS OF IT WHERE I LIVE FOR .50 A POUND

I'm having a hard time finding someone in North East Atlanta that will sell it. The two recycle centers near me don't sell to the public :evil:

Brine said:
2007NNBS said:
CHECK YOUR LOCAL RECYCLE CENTER...I FOUND TONS OF IT WHERE I LIVE FOR .50 A POUND

I'm having a hard time finding someone in North East Atlanta that will sell it. The two recycle centers near me don't sell to the public :evil:

Get a friend with a contractor's license, they will sell it to him.

Brine said:
Thanks for the info!

To clarify....

Do you feel that 6061 is not the "right" alloy for the application?

I'm not having a problem finding it, I'm having a problem paying for it... :lol: but it sounds like it will be priced the same as the 5000's.

No, I don't think you'll have any problems using the 6061. Although if you are going to run any of it through a break, I might go with the 5000 series.

Brine the metal recycling place by me in newnan says they will sell it if they have it. Its Newnan Salvage, google them and give them a call.

Latest posts