Leader with Braid?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACarbone624

Reaction score
Do you guys use a leader (mono/flourocarbon) when you use braided line or do you tie directly to your lure?

Does it make a difference in your catch ratio?

i usually use mono for a leader for the streatch but when im using mono ill have a braided leader lol for the heavy cover :lol:

I usually tie on about a 8-10ft leader of monofilament as a leader. I don't know really if it increases my catches because I have tied on a leader since I started using braid. I think its just kind of a confidence thing.....and I guess it also depends on what kind of conditions your fishing in. If your fishing really stained water, a leader may not make a big difference, where as I fish a really clear lake most of the time, so I just kinda feel better with the leader.

I use a floro leader and in some situations found it really makes a difference. SM bass in clear water can be line shy and the floro seems to do the trick.

The way i look at it it is if it gets me a few more fish it is well worth the effort.

I think it is a confidence thing. I really don't think I need one, but I always use one except when fishing with light braid for bream.

I'm planning on running fluoro leaders with all braid except top-water this year.

I use braid for everything, but only tie a leader for certain applications. When fishing moving water, I always tie a leader because it allows the bait so sink better, since braid floats. When fishing heavy cover I tie braid directly to the bait. For jerkbaits, plastics, and finesse jigs I always tie a leader. For topwaters like frogs, I tie directly to braid. While many say using a flouro leader for poppers and spook type baits will damage the action, because it sinks faster than mono,I still use flouro...not mono. If the fish are active I will tie braid directly to the bait, but when the fish are keying to topwater, but not extremely active I like using the flouro leader beacause I will often deadstick the baits on top. Either way, I am not totally convinced that a leader helps any, other than in moving water. I fished without a leader for many years and caught just as many fish. I always tie a uni to uni knot, and have yet to have it fail on a fish or snag. My palomar to the bait breaks before the uni does almost always. Regardless, you will hook way more fish using braid than you will using mono.

The only thing I use flouro for is as a leader for braid when fishing plastic worms or crankbaits, because it sinks and is invisible to the fish.

shootisttx said:
...is invisible to the fish.
I never have bought this theory. I can see fluoro underwater just as easy as I can see mono. But I think it is a confidence thing. A crankbait doesn't look or swim exactly like a forage fish, so if a bass will hit that, the thin line attached to it won't change his mind. That's the way I see it anyway.

I tie direct 99% of the time. I have yet to feel that line visibility made a difference in my catch ratio and I've been using superline since the day Fireline was introduced.

A leader is nice for abrasion resistance, reduce line visibility, and provide a bit of a shock absorber in your system.

I always use a flourocarbon leader in every application, sometimes as much as 100' depending on the application. Of course I am mainly trolling not casting, but even casting for Stripers I will use at least 25' of 20# flouro.

Latest posts