Leak from live well plug

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuonthewater

Reaction score
Hello all, first boat I've ever owned, first post here. Done a lot of reading on everything in general and tried the search function for this specific problem but didn't find anything.....my boat is nothing fancy.

Boat is a brand new Polar Kraft J 1648 LW.

Just bought it a week ago and have not had it out on the water yet. Today, I thought I'd put some water in the live well and test to make sure it doesn't leak....well, IT LEAKS pretty good from the drain plug/hole! Leak started right away and it's a quick one. I know it's not leaking from around the white "calk" because when I brought the boat home there was enough water in the live well that covered the white and it didn't leak.

Question is, what's the fix? Is there a fancy after market plug that doesn't leak? Is there something I can smear on the plug to make the contact water tight? Do I just silicone the plug into the dry well (worst case for clean up)? Is it the wrong plug (hope not, dealer is a hour and a half round trip)?

Also, guess I'll ask now about the rear plug for the boat 'cause now I'm worried about that leaking. Any insight as to making sure that plug is water tight? Guess I can fill the boat up with some water in the driveway and see if it leaks...but if it does?

Pics attached it they help. Thanks for any help and looking forward to posting more as I get the boat out on the water.

Attachments

• IMG_6346.JPG
    IMG_6346.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 464
Ok, sorry but for whatever reason I can only get the one picture to post. Plug is just a simple rubber plug with some ribs on it. Fits very snug in the hole...hard to get all the way in and hard to get out.

I'll figure out how to re-size a picture and try again.

Missing O-ring from around groove in plug? If that doesnt work try to find an adjustable plug, they make different sizes,some for livewells and some for transoms. Hope this helps.

Thanks JBB and MrSimon. Bought and installed an adjustable plug today. No more leak =D> . I have much to learn about the boating world, but on my way.

That's great!

Frankly, I think the plug that came with the boat looks fancy, but is a stupid design. What you have now will work quite well and probably cost less than 10 bucks.

cuonthewater said:
Thanks JBB and MrSimon. Bought and installed an adjustable plug today. No more leak =D> . I have much to learn about the boating world, but on my way.