Leaning Post Rear Seat for Aluminum Center Console

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$550 is more than reasonable. I need one about 8"-10" tall though as it will sit on my rear deck. No one local builds towers or posts so a run to the coast may be in order!

You mean something like this?

100_0545.JPG

In rear position:

100_0546.JPG

Flipped forward. It can go forward one more notch.
100_0549.JPG

Ratcheting mechanism, made from 1/4" stainless flat stock.
100_0547.JPG

I couldn't find any factory-made seats that were the right width for my boat, so, I made this one.

Seat frame is made of aluminum angle. The seat cushion cost about 80 dollars to have made at an upholstery shop. It's 8 inches thick, lots of support for long rides.

The swingback/leaning post part is made from 2" x 3/8" aluminum flat stock, with a top, center and bottom rung, made from 1" x sch 40 aluminum pipe, inset into the flat stock, for max. weld strength. Those rungs form the frame for the foam and upholstery to attach to. Upholsterer charged me 200 dollars for that. The flat bars that form the sides have elongated slots that allow the up-and-down movement to move it into the different ratchet positions.

I think I have about 150 dollars in the aluminum. So, that, and about 300 total for upholstery, and then about 3-4 hours of labor/welding. Altogether, probably around 700-800 dollars, but worth every penny! I absolutely love this seat!

I previously had a single pedestal type seat, it was fairly comfortable, but not like this one. And the boat never looked right with the pedestal seat.

100_4248.jpg

See what I mean?
100_4258.jpg

Like I said, I love this bench seat/leaning post! :mrgreen:

Jonboat Jerry said:
+2 about my being late. I liked your solution, it is one I had not seen.
Here is one I had made custom by a guy in tarpon springs that also makes towers.
I can sit back and still reach the wheel, has 4 launchers, but was $550 by the time it was done.
DSC00320.jpg

Jerry

Would love something like this but only 10" tall legs, green or tan vinyl and no rocket launchers.

As promised:

Took the boat to a local fabricator, for $450 plus tax he built me a simple leaning post. I expected something simple to stand and lean on, he sized it perfectly so that I can also sit up on it with my feet on the gas tank. Just need the weather/little league/work to all line up so I can try it out on the lake. Also installed a Fishmaster T-top, looks great and seems sturdy, just need to try it out also.

Looks good! my first estimate had the upholstery costing more than that, let alone the fab work. Waiting for another quote on cushions.

At first I was a little shocked at the $450 estimate, but post looks good and I am still impressed with his design, fits great.

I have no idea about the weight of the leaning post, if I had to guess I would estimate around 20 pounds. The T-top has a shipped weight of 80 pounds.

Now I just need the winds to die down tomorrow afternoon.

Finally addressed my leaning post woes. Chased several alternatives, but the upholstery costs always seemed way too high. Finally found a guy in Ft. Myers, FL who offered to build to my specs and ship for $500. Here is the finished product.

Camo upholstery would have been nice but also would have added $75 to the price and likely would have faded, so we went with tan.

Attachments

• 2013-06-22_19-52-08_728.jpg
    2013-06-22_19-52-08_728.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6,916
  • 2013-06-22_19-51-54_774.jpg
    2013-06-22_19-51-54_774.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6,915
  • 2013-06-22_19-51-20_733.jpg
    2013-06-22_19-51-20_733.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6,915

Latest posts