Local Boat Prices

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaqueRatt

Reaction score
I'm still relatively new. This is my 3rd summer messing with small boats. Figured I could easily sell my "spares," but getting almost no interest. Checked with another local guy who's a big time flipper and he confirmed that prices are low and the market is weak. Nice, just my luck. Seems like a good time to buy, but not a good time to sell. I look at Marketplace every day and it's the same every day. Hardly anything sells, just more boats on the market. Anybody else seeing this?

With the high inflation and high interest rates, people are strapped for cash and loans are expensive. Toys are not selling well right now. Those who do have some spare money right now are grabbing bargains when they find them. It is a buyers market not for sellers. Things will change, but hopefully not go into recession.

I'm seeing the same thing here, cheap aluminum boats are everywhere. People trying to sell anything they can to pay the bills I suppose. I don't think I go a day without seeing a 12, 14, or 16ft boat for less than $300 sitting on some lawn these days. If I didn't already have four, I'd have been tempted by a few of them. Three or four years ago the same boats were selling for well over a grand and you were lucky to get hold of one, now they're even turning up at the scrap yard. My neighbor picked up a super clean Mirrocraft 17ft the other day, with a title, from a local junk yard, someone hauled it there for scrap weight. I think he got it for $180, by the pound.
If this turns around, it may be the time to buy up as many of them as possible but if it don't they be nothing more than scrap it seems. Dealers likely saw this coming because most never put any new models in stock, or just couldn't get hold of any. Many dealers have gone away, between the loss of Evinrude a few years ago and almost no small boat sales, most smaller dealers just hung it up and closed their doors. All that's left are the big boat dealers at the shore and even they look like they're hurting.
The marinas are and have been nearly empty now for a few years.
To be fair, I've seen a steady decline since around 2008/2009 or so. It got better for a bit in 2016 or so but 2020 took a huge chunk out of boating and fishing here. You can list highly desirable items for sale and hear nothing but crickets these days. The fleamarkets are full of cheap tackle, often in the hands of second and third party sellers taking a shot at selling it but finding out there's no takers.

For me, I own boats because I fish, I fish because I like to eat fish. Fishing should be cheaper than buying fish, when its not, its a waste of time. A day on the water now can cost $100, and I can buy the fish for less. Since the bag limits are so low these days, usually only one or two fish, its tough to justify the ride to the saltwater.
I think a lot of people are thinking the same way. Nearly all the saltwater ramps are pay ramps, so most won't go there, and those are usually jammed up with skis and pleasure boats so most guys launch in one of the back creeks and make their way to the saltwater. That ride is now expensive at nearly $4/gal plus oil.

I'm seeing the same thing here, cheap aluminum boats are everywhere. People trying to sell anything they can to pay the bills I suppose. I don't think I go a day without seeing a 12, 14, or 16ft boat for less than $300 sitting on some lawn these days. If I didn't already have four, I'd have been tempted by a few of them. Three or four years ago the same boats were selling for well over a grand and you were lucky to get hold of one, now they're even turning up at the scrap yard. My neighbor picked up a super clean Mirrocraft 17ft the other day, with a title, from a local junk yard, someone hauled it there for scrap weight. I think he got it for $180, by the pound.
If this turns around, it may be the time to buy up as many of them as possible but if it don't they be nothing more than scrap it seems. Dealers likely saw this coming because most never put any new models in stock, or just couldn't get hold of any. Many dealers have gone away, between the loss of Evinrude a few years ago and almost no small boat sales, most smaller dealers just hung it up and closed their doors. All that's left are the big boat dealers at the shore and even they look like they're hurting.
The marinas are and have been nearly empty now for a few years.
To be fair, I've seen a steady decline since around 2008/2009 or so. It got better for a bit in 2016 or so but 2020 took a huge chunk out of boating and fishing here. You can list highly desirable items for sale and hear nothing but crickets these days. The fleamarkets are full of cheap tackle, often in the hands of second and third party sellers taking a shot at selling it but finding out there's no takers.

For me, I own boats because I fish, I fish because I like to eat fish. Fishing should be cheaper than buying fish, when its not, its a waste of time. A day on the water now can cost $100, and I can buy the fish for less. Since the bag limits are so low these days, usually only one or two fish, its tough to justify the ride to the saltwater.
I think a lot of people are thinking the same way. Nearly all the saltwater ramps are pay ramps, so most won't go there, and those are usually jammed up with skis and pleasure boats so most guys launch in one of the back creeks and make their way to the saltwater. That ride is now expensive at nearly $4/gal plus oil.
Same here, I fish for food. I have downsized and my boat is economical and paid for !! In my area the perch and walleye are the top choices for table fare. At most fish markets they are around 20 bucks per lb for fillets ! I make my own ice, clean my own fish and use around 3-4 gallons of fuel in boat and another 3 in my tow vehicle. About 4-5 bucks for minnows. In general less than 30 bucks for a fishing trip. Typically end up with about 3 lbs of fillets on an average day....like I tell my wife, I can profit from going fishing !!..lol...

We rarely keep fish. I'll keep bluegills to replenish our bait tank at home for catfish trips and once or twice a yr we'll keep a eater size channel cat to fry up but that's it. I just really enjoy fishing and boating is my happy place. Youngest will graduate high-school in 7 years then the wife and I will be relocating to either NC or SC somwhere along the ICW and spend our days exploring up and down the east coast by boat.

Maybe when I retire I’ll start fishing pike. The state pays a bounty for pike heads, think it’s $5 per head. N Pike is good eating too.
Sounds to me like a good plan, after all we don't eat the heads anyway ! Might even catch enough to buy a new boat....lol....

Latest posts