Lone Star 1956 Restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a dab of dielectric grease into each end of the butt connector,
crimp and heat shrink...... (second choice to soldering)
Also, in soldered connections, a dab of grease and heat shrink.
Also, on the socket ends of light bulbs.
Also, on the connectors to the ignition switch and at the motor block.
grease.png
and all your connections will be happy happy happy

Small thread veer, sorry, but just saw this beauty in CL and were I 20 years younger, I'd be on the phone getting directions, in spite of the price.

1954 Alumacraft Merry M, 14ft...very clean for its years. Pricey at $2500 w/ trailer, but I've already fallen in love and I haven't even seen the craft in real life. It has lights AND siren!

I've no connection with the listing except for a wistful longing. :)

https://madison.craigslist.org/boa/5139264331.html

1954 alumacraft merry m runabout.jpg

(you may now return to your regular programming.)

Thank you satx! :D

Kismet,
I love it! =D> Yes, pricey, but a timeless beauty. 8) Keep us posted!

(returning to regularly scheduled programming, "Still Waiting".) :roll:

Howdy my Tinboat friends!

I've been busy with life, and avoiding this Texas heat for the past few weeks. 8-[
I am about to get revved back up! Have a few things to get on order next week so that I can move forward. I'll post again in a few days with some progress.

Thanks for the kind words and support. I truly, truly appreciate all of you helping me throughout this entire project. What an awesome group! =D> =D> =D>

M

Hello M
I figured it got hot down there when we didn't hear from You.
We had some cooler weather this week and it felt good!
Keep up the good work. The splash will be soon!

Steve A W

M, I was wondering if you ever went back to the boat horn ??
I am looking at a vintage 1960s horn now on e-bay that does not work, but,
from the internal photos, it is not rusted or corroded, very clean inside and am thinking it would be
simple (hopefully) to fix vs $90+ for one that does work.
I have found the correct 12v stainless spot light, bow navigation light (with blue lens)
and now am working on the type of horn like yours that will match the spot light.
Also found the correct large compass that will be painted white.
Cheers !!
horn.png
spot light.png
compass.png

Mr. Johnny,

No, Sir, I have not tried to do anything else to the old horn. I just mounted it back on, as is, for now.
Looks like you have found some "prizes"! :mrgreen: Ebay has a lot to offer in the way of vintage boat parts and hardware. I window shop on there several times a week. There is such gratification finding an old part, order it in, clean it, polish it and mount it. I'm like a kid at Christmas when I get boat parts in the mail. :D Congrats on your finds! Nice!!!! =D> =D> =D>

Well, you obviously have a fan club, M.

Maybe you should consider touring with the boat when its done, maybe have demonstration seminars, trading cards, and posters.

justsayin'

=D> :mrgreen: =D>

Ok fellas......I went to a machine shop just outside of Tyler today. A long time friend owns it. He is customizing an aluminum transom cap for Miss Fifty-Six. He looked at the piece of aluminum that I tried to bend. Said it wasn't heavy/thick enough. He has seen the boat, so he knows what I'm trying to do. I trust his wisdom, his work, and his word. Says it will be ready in a day or two.

The price :?: I don't know, yet. It might put my wallet in a tail spin. :shock: Even if it does, I know it will be right and fit like a glove. :D

Stay tuned...I'm revved up! :popcorn:

I'm like the fat kid in the candy store; I've boat parts coming in! :LOL2:

I've got parts! :D

Got a call from the machine shop on Friday. The transom cap will be ready the latter part of the week.

Went over to a boat repair shop last week. Picked up two front rope cleats off an old rotted down wooden Chris Craft. They look really close to the ones that were originally on Miss Fifty-Six. 8)

The wiring harness came in today for her motor, along with the nose cone.

Wiring up to the plug tomorrow. Finally! :D

Pics and more updates in a few days.....

A little update:
Hubby helped me set the corners/curves on the transom cap. The middle is too tight. Had to break the welds to get the corners in, which didn't take too much. A couple of good hits with a rubber mallet body hammer and they broke. :( Might have to have another middle piece made that is a bit wider. I forgot to accommodate for the plates when I had it made. 8-[ Oh well....it is what it is.

Wam bammer hammer sounds like my kind of custom adjustments too. 8)

Long as you see a way to get it how you want or can accept it, it's progress.

Pics of the transom cap.
Broke welds left and right sides.
Tried to fit it straight down; whipped on it a little; still too tight. Won't go all the way down. :x
Hey, but he corners/curves fit really good! :D

Attachments

• IMG_20150911_103710.jpg
    IMG_20150911_103710.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 808
  • IMG_20150911_103724.jpg
    IMG_20150911_103724.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 808
  • IMG_20150911_103729.jpg
    IMG_20150911_103729.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 808