Looking at a 1983 Johnson 35 tiller: thoughts?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMOS

Reaction score
Howdy Guys,

I have been without a boat for a few years now and have got the itch again (Texas Bay fishing especially). There's an ad for a 1983 Johnson 35 tiller, rebuilt a few years ago (he has the receipts) and has been garage stored for several years. Running well he states.

Issue: it's a pull-start. Back in 2020 I had major shoulder surgery (full reverse replacement) so a 35HP pull-start is not a good idea. I looked into adding a full electric start/charge system, +$1500 bucks on top of the motor's asking price of $1800.

Thoughts?

I do not have a hull in mind at this point, but the pictures of the motor looked very clean, and of course 35 ponies is a nice size motor.

CMOS

I'd pass on that, too.

I had a 30HP Johnson a few years ago that was pull start. A few times of that and my Medicare-eligible shoulders said, "NO WAY." I sold the old motor and bought a new Merc. Love it.

He's a former Johnson/Evinrude mechanic so he's going to give me a price to have the electric start/Charge systems installed. I suspect it'll be out of my budget. I agree, no way and I pull-starting a 35 Horse.

CMOS

Yep....your at a point in life where you should get whatever fits your needs ! For me it is electric start and a steering wheel....no more manual tillers for this ole boy.....

He's a former Johnson/Evinrude mechanic so he's going to give me a price to have the electric start/Charge systems installed. I suspect it'll be out of my budget. I agree, no way and I pull-starting a 35 Horse.

CMOS
I looked for an electric start system for the old Johnson. I couldn't find any new ones in stock anywhere, and used parts or donor motors were nowhere to be found, in my part of the country anyway.

I looked for an electric start system for the old Johnson. I couldn't find any new ones in stock anywhere, and used parts or donor motors were nowhere to be found, in my part of the country anyway.

After a quick look, the parts are available for the upgrade for this 35. I'd be willing to pay a total of $2500 for this motor, with the Electric start/Charge upgrade, but no higher.

CMOS

I run a 1983 Johnson 35. They went to prop shaft vs power head hp rating in 84-85 I believe so it's comparable to a later 30. I am super happy with mine which I paid 400 bucks Canadian for. I had abdominal surgery a couple years ago and was unable to pull it for a year so I feel you. For that price point I'd be looking for a four stroke electric start. They were and are good motors but not worth that much no matter how pristine looking.

Skip that old, overpriced motor. I just did a quick look of a 100 mile radius of you and saw many. I really like the little E-tec motors. I've had two of them and they have been flawless. If you can talk them down to the price of your 1983, you will be way ahead:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1585840638696452/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/8672878356056309/

https://www.facebook.com/share/eSfgs6iz9Nc7gJDY/

https://www.facebook.com/share/uWNHiHDBsRUWT13S/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1094970408239278

This is just a sample. Search Craigslist and FB Marketplace daily until you find the motor you are looking for.

My advice is never fall in love. It's a motor. Rebuilt sounds good, IF he did a perfect job, and if there aren't other issues. Even so, you would still need to modify it to work for what you need. Be patient and find the right motor for you.

At least that's my opinion.

Last edited:
Thill,

I forgot completely about FB Marketplace. Been checking Craigslist daily so I will definitely watch FB.

ETA: there's a ton of motors on FB Marketplace. However, many of them have the caveat "needs" (carbs cleaned, impeller, etc.)

What are the thoughts about buying a motor that "needs" something vs. one that is "running"?

CMOS

Last edited:
I've never been bothered by a motor that needs some love, just have to cover your bases and the price needs to reflect it.

I like to do a compression test, spark test, and pull the drain on the lower unit to check for water or metal filings. Takes maybe 15 minutes and gives you some peace of mind.

Thill,

I forgot completely about FB Marketplace. Been checking Craigslist daily so I will definitely watch FB.

ETA: there's a ton of motors on FB Marketplace. However, many of them have the caveat "needs" (carbs cleaned, impeller, etc.)

What are the thoughts about buying a motor that "needs" something vs. one that is "running"?

CMOS
If you are able to do thorough testing and can do your own repair, then a motor that needs something is doable...often sellers don't like buyers testing there motors. I have always made my motors run well before selling, and never have a problem selling them.

Something like "needs a water pump" is not a big deal. If you know how to clean carbs, then you can get some really good deals. But I think there are plenty of motors that run well in your $1,500 price range. You should be able to find a good-running motor that needs nothing.

Are any of the listings I sent you close enough to check out? What is your max HP on that boat? Some of the 40 HP I saw were pretty nice.

Latest posts