Low RPM Tohatsu 9.8

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ezekiel2517

Reaction score
15 mins from Tims Ford Lake, Normandy Lake, and Wo
Hey all, it wasn't the "making oil"(see post below on "New Tohatsu making oil"" that was causing my low rpm. The motor is new with only 12 hours, I did my break-in to factory specs. It did make a lot of oil, I changed oil and took it out to Tims Ford lake this morning and it still only runs around 3250 rpm.

It idles at 900 rpm(perfect according to manual), but max rpm is around 3250.

Any ideas before I contact Tohatsu for a warranty visit to the local dealer.(I bought the motor from onlineoutboards).

Hope your day is going better than mine.

Zeke.

I'm measuring rpms with a TTO tach/hour meter. The boat almost reaches it's max speed of 18.2 mph, it maxes out a 17.0. The boat is a Tracker 1542 with maybe 150 lbs of batteries and wood. The rpms were right during break-in and I'm at a loss of what could have caused the change.

Thanks for the reply. Oh and it's the same Tims Ford, I put in at Turkey Creek. Lot of crap in the water this morning and the shad were going crazy this morning. (Breeding time for shad??)

My Mom was born close to Fayetville, in Cold Water, TN.

Have a Good Day.

Zeke.

Hey Pappy, It's going the 17 mph, that's what is throwing me for a loop. Shouldn't it be going slower. I'm thinking of figuring out a different way to check RPM. If my tac/hour meter is faulty, buying another seems a waste. can I install a round in dash factory tach on an outboard that is just a bog standard tiller outboard. I can build a housing for factory gauges, I just don't know enough about installing them.

Again thanks for the replies.

Enjoy your evening

Zeke

Then your suspicion is correct. The engine is turning well above 3250 to hit just a mile short of what it normally does at WOt.
I have had a Tiny Tach for years now with no issues. Once you have an engine properly set up there really isn't much need to
constantly watch a guage.

had a 9.8 tohatsu on a 1444 mv g3. sold to my buddy. max speed was barely over 15 if i remember right. had a tinytach. cant remember the rpm. if u r hitting 17 0n 15 fter that seems right to me. go to iboats forum. it has a tohatsu section.