Lowe 16x48 Restoration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wyodeputy said:
Are we still talking about waterproofing a few rivets?

I am talking about the twelve 1/4" rivets that appear that they will be below the water line, yes.

If the studs pull through those as they are apt to do, it could be the equivalent of pulling the drain plug. Worst case scenario that will probably never happen in a million years but I would rather have something with a little more substance than camoclad film sealing holes in my boat. Especially if it has a surface drive mud motor strapped to it.

Howdy, been gone for awhile and finally got days off to work on my boat. I'm learning lots along the way; I think the phrase " measure twice, cut once" was coined by someone working with aluminum rather than wood. One mistake with this stuff is costly. Anyway, I've lost my photographer and co-builder (brother back to school) and I'm stuck with a cheap digital camera. I had to make a mental note to stop along the way and take some pictures; luckily the resizing process makes them appear somewhat in focus.Picture 057.jpgPicture 059.jpgPicture 063.jpgPicture 062.jpgPicture 064.jpgPicture 065.jpgPicture 066.jpgPicture 067.jpgPicture 070.jpgPicture 071.jpgPicture 073.jpgPicture 074.jpgPicture 077.jpgPicture 078.jpg

Quackrstackr said:
wyodeputy said:
Are we still talking about waterproofing a few rivets?

I am talking about the twelve 1/4" rivets that appear that they will be below the water line, yes.

If the studs pull through those as they are apt to do, it could be the equivalent of pulling the drain plug. Worst case scenario that will probably never happen in a million years but I would rather have something with a little more substance than camoclad film sealing holes in my boat. Especially if it has a surface drive mud motor strapped to it.

Okay Quackrstackr, I've gotta admit, I wasn't on board with you on this ... at first ... then a rivet popped on me. #-o I'm not as concerned about the boat filling with water (even if they did all go at once) cause I still have the old transom piece in place. But obviously I want that new rear piece solid. So I'm re-thinking the rivets on the transom and considering welding it. Thanks for the insight (now excuse me while I swallow my pride!)

Man that's dedication right there! God bless ya! I love working on boats, but would have never gone to those extremes,lack of proper tools and maybe even the lack of motivation to engulf myself that deep, I would have opted for purchasing another. I give you all the credit in the world for even attempting it. Looking good so far and wish you the best of luck. Looking forward to seeing the finished results.

Hey buddy, First off, I can only imagine all the work you have put into that boat. It looks like it would be alot of fun to do. I know when I built my layout boat, I put a lot of time into it and it was so rewarding when I was done and put it in the water for the first time. Keep up the good work, you got me hooked on this thing now. :)

Always like reading about this restoration project.
The pictures and desciption are great and the work,seems to me,to be top notch as well.

Hey deputy, so are you finished with filling all the holes from the rivets? When I filled holes when I was welding we used copper on the opposite side of the hole and we could fill up a hole without any grinding and it would be water tight. You probably did it that way, but if not, I just wanted to add a suggestion.

Hello, we've made a little progress today. I have to apologize ahead of time here ... I forgot to take some pictures early on in the fab process so I'll try to catch you up. I've recruited some help in the form of a duck huntin' buddy and luckily he can weld ! We decided to build new corner braces at the transom. Earlier on, I said I wanted to use the old cast aluminum corners but they required too much altering and it was better to just start from scratch. Basically, we took a piece of .125 aluminum and made a triangle to fit on the rear transom corner. The transom actually is angled back, so this required a bend in the corner piece. We then welded on exterior sides and back.Picture 056.jpgPicture 059.jpgPicture 057.jpgPicture 060.jpgPicture 062.jpgPicture 063.jpgPicture 065.jpgPicture 067.jpg

Fly_Guy said:
looking good. What's your overall plan? I'm doing a 1448 for duck hunting and just trying to get some ideas.

This boat's gonna be used primarily for duck hunting but I'll fish from it too. I wanna keep an open hull, but I am gonna extend the front deck by about 18", and I'm toying with the idea of building a gun box (not sure of my capabilities there). Pedestal bases for seating and gonna steelflex the hull as I'm gonna run a mudmotor on it and the steelflex will help it slide over shallows and obstructions. Thanks for looking

Jeff said:
Hey deputy, so are you finished with filling all the holes from the rivets? When I filled holes when I was welding we used copper on the opposite side of the hole and we could fill up a hole without any grinding and it would be water tight. You probably did it that way, but if not, I just wanted to add a suggestion.

Jeff, wish I'd have gotten your input before I started filling the holes, the copper idea is something I hadn't heard. For the most part we are done, but a few more may crop up? Keep the input coming ! thanks

Awesome job so far!! =D> You all might want to research mixing copper and aluminium. I believe that they are reactive together.

That kind of where I'm at too. Planning on an open design and I'm still on the fence about the gun locker on the side. I'd sure would be nice to have it, but I'd hate to give up and space on the floor.

Keep up the good work.

Day 6 - we didn't get much done today but with only a couple hours to work, Ryan and I started on extending the front deck. This is gonna be hard to explain but I'll try. The rib on the side of the boat where I wanna end the front deck, is not exactly vertical. (This is where the front of the boat starts to rise on the bottom.) So we had to fabricate a piece which would carry the plane of this front piece, across this rib. Hard to explain, stay tuned... P1270001.JPGP1270002.JPGP1270004.JPGP1270003.JPGP1270005.JPGP1270006.JPG

Attachments

• P1270007.JPG
    P1270007.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,538

Latest posts