Lower Unit Lube

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swmohunter

Reaction score
This is an ignorant question I'm sure, but am I able to replace the lower unit lube/oil with Quick Silver Premium Gear Lube.

This is my first motor and am a bit clueless at this point.

I have a early 70's 25hp Evenrude. I am just wanting to replace the lower unit fluid and this stuff seems a little thick compared to what is in it at the moment. Thank you for your input.

If this is not what I am needing, there might be a little of this stuff in the lower unit now. Is there a good way to get it out if it will not work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Don't use regular automotive gear oil. It is basically the same stuff, but the marine version does a better job of keeping things lubricated if water does happen to get into the system.

The quicksilver is a good product and it probably will be slightly thicker than what was in there. Gear oil is thick nasty stuff!

I've been using automotive gear lube since,well I don't remember,but have never had any problems.I even had a lower get water in it & when I finally got around to fixing it there was no damage to the bearings.It works for me, but if you want to spend your money on name brand outboard lower unit oil that's your choice.

just spend the $45 a quart on royal purple synthetic gear lube ....

It added 300to 500 rpms and 3 miles per hour on my rig...

I run Pennzoil LU oil I get it at Advance auto they have good prices on the Marine Stuff .