Lowrance Elite-5 HDI or Garmin echoMAP 50dv

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codycowgill

Reaction score
My Garmin 240 blue fishfinder died and I want to get a new one soon. I am fairly new to owning a boat and very new to looking at specific fishfinders.

BPS has two on sale in-store starting next week. Which one is better?

They have a Lowrance Elite-5 HDI with offshore map card for $300 or a Garmin echoMAP 50dv with coastal maps for $350.

I will do 75% of my fishing in salt, in shore for halibut or maybe local paddies. Will sometimes go to local lake for trout or kokanee, or maybe stripper.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Cody

Suggest you go and compare the screens side by side to determine which one you like best and will serve you best. Each mapping function will be a bit different so try and see which one shows you the type of info you need or want for your style of fishing. I've read some positive comments on different forums about the Garmins and the sharpness/clarity on the HU, but have no 1st hand experience. GL

I have that same Elite unit in my tuna tower and am not impressed. I find I can't tune or adjust it as well as I can other brands for my desires. But then I run Furuno units at my main helm. I went w/ the Elite as it uses different frequencies, so I can run both at the same time, with zero interference.